Replacing motherboard?

msr

My motherboard died and it is being replaced by the manufacturer (with the identical model). Question; if I am replacing the motherboard only and leaving everything else in the computer unchanged, will the hard drive with the operating system be erased when I re install everything?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
As long as the board is primarily the same, you shouldn't have any problems. I replaced a board once going from a nForce4 to an nForce4 Ultra and Windows XP continued to work just fine. This was even an Abit to Epox.

ScottH

You shouldn't occur any problems as long as the new board is the same as the old one. The Operating system is stored on your hard-drive so as long as it worked before the Mobo took a crap you should be fine.

MixedLogik

Your BIOS will be different because the board comes to you in factory settings, so you may have to readjust BIOS to proper settings, or if you didn't change BIOS you should be fine

PC eye

banned
The one thing to consider when swapping one board for another is the possible need to perform a repair install and load the new board's own software/drivers for it. Each manufacturer besides chipset drivers will have some that might clash with the existing ones. If you find problems with the board's drivers in the steps for a repair install are seen at http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm