replacing the mobo

rockhead

ok i want to change the mobo in my pc and i am wondering what it takes. i under stand how to change it the physical part anyway. i am changing the mobo cpu and ram everything else is the same so what do i need to get the job done right. will i need a new os or just put everything in and start it hear is what i am getting.
1 x ($54.99) CPU AMD|A64 X2 5200 2.7G AM2 65N R - Retail
$54.99
1 x ($49.99) MB GIGABYTE GA-M61PME-S2P AM2+ RTL - Retail
$49.99
1 x ($43.99) MEM 2Gx2|OCZ OCZ2G10664GK R - Retail
$43.99

Turbo10

Yeah i replaced my motherboard. You do normally need to re-install your OS but its not too bad if you just back-up the normal things. You will also need to re-activate the OS which can be done by phone or on the internet. Good luck in the build!

Turbo10

Yeah to reinstall it unless there is a way to copy the OS to CD but i don't know ive got my windows vista CD so i duno

Turbo10

Yes with a full reinstall you will lose completely everything unforunately. But on the bright side it will speed your PC up as it gets rid of all the rubbish extra programs and viruses that might be lurking around. Just choose format hard drive when you come to re install the OS

rockhead

ok is their anyway to save my bookmarks on my internet? i will buy a external hard drive for all my music and such.

Bodaggit23

ok is their anyway to save my bookmarks on my internet? i will buy a external hard drive for all my music and such.
Yes. You can export them to an .html file and save them on your external.

With your new hardware, you'll really want to reinstall. Everything. All your
programs are configured to run on your current board and peripherals. It's
best really to reinstall.

rockhead

i just want to save all my music and viedos that i cant get back the programs i will just reinstall when i install my os. that and i really want my bookmarks.

Zatharus

VIP Member
yes i was talking about the os this is the right one right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488
and what does it mean when it says for system builders? what is it talking about?

Yes, that is the correct OS mep916 was talking about. The OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version you refer to is restricted to activation on a single machine. If you have no intention of migrating this OS's license to a new machine in the future, this will work well for you. If you think you will install it on another computer in the future, purchase the full (non OEM) version.

Microsoft offers this type of licensing mainly so that people who build computers and sell them can include the OS at a lower cost. That is what is meant by the "for system builders" statement. Individuals can also purchase the OEM version for use on their computers. It isn't restricted to just system builders.

Zatharus

VIP Member
is their a good step by step guide to replacing the motherboard?

This is a generalized step-by-step:

1. Ground yourself. If you don't have a grounding strap/bracelet, it's worth getting.

2. Turn off then disconnect all power from the PSU and then the motherboard leads.

3. Disconnect all internal/external peripherals from the motherboard including switching wires (power/reset) - USB, Ethernet, audio cables, SATA, IDE, etc...

4. Remove all expansion cards.

5. Unscrew motherboard mounts.

6. Remove motherboard and accompanying port backing plate and set aside.

7. Check current mounting stub placements compared to new motherboard. Remove/add as needed.

8. Insert new port backing plate and fit in new motherboard. Secure to case.

9. Install new CPU and heatsink.

10. Install new RAM.

11. Start plugging in power and data connectors to the new motherboard. Make sure to also re-attach switching leads.

12. Re-install expansion cards.

13. Re-attach external connectors.

14. Apply power to PSU and turn on.

15. Have OS setup disk handy and power up the updated computer.

rockhead

should i put the os disk in the drive before i power it down? so do i need anything but the os disk?

Last edited: