Researching printers.

I'd like to buy a new printer, but not sure how to get quality photo prints and save money on ink. Currently have a Canon Pixma. I see Pixma and Epson as some of the top tens on a few review lists. Ideally less than $400 on printer, and much more efficient on ink. I don't know if printer manufacturers price gouge on ink? Seems like copycat ink cartilages are much cheaper. Are they basically the same as Canon inks? What is the best way to go to save money and get quality prints?

tremmor

I can only say i bought a Brother laser printer for a low price but the cartridges are more money.
Name brand printer may cost more but ink is cheaper. Id goto store and make comparison.
Only one ive changed so far is one black cartridge.

beers

Staff member
I've had a couple of the EcoTank printers, generally pretty solid.

My wife even has one to do sublimation ink.

Darren

Staff member
Do those refill ink models clog a lot? Are clogs easy to clear?
I buy cheapy generic ones on Amazon and they're fine. Only thing I've ever used in my Canon and it's still going 7 years later, although I don't use it much.

beers

Staff member
I've only seen clogging behavior if they sit a really long time without any use, you can still clog at the print head. But otherwise with normal operation they're good for quite a while.

I've only seen clogging behavior if they sit a really long time without any use, you can still clog at the print head. But otherwise with normal operation they're good for quite a while.
Define long time? Lol. Maybe once every other month print stuff?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
i would print at least once a month, even if its a test page. Some of those inkjets dry up pretty quickly.

Hellmut1956

I use Canon Inkjet printers since a very long time. Best justification is that I get cartridges that I can reload myself, Currently I am using the Canon TS 950 Series. So printing is inexpensive. Other printer manufacturers you can not find resettable cartridges.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Canon Inkjet printers since a very long time. Best justification is that I get cartridges that I can reload myself, Currently I am using the Canon TS 950 Series. So printing is inexpensive. Other printer manufacturers you can not find resettable cartridges.
I will look into those models. Perhaps those cartridges are bigger. The ones I currently buy are like $25 per color. Magenta and Cyan seem to go much faster than yellow and the two black cartilages. And it's annoying that black is made from the colors so I don't even know what the black cartilages do.