Reset/Restore to Factory/Partition

I have an old ASUS laptop the my son used during his high school years. I want to get it to factory, I don't know how to do that. I don't see a Partition so I can't do it that way and I can't remember if I made a disc for this computer, if I did I don't know where it is.
I do have 2 DVD's that say Windows 7 Backup but don't know what computer it's from.

I did watch a video about making a Partition so you can do a Restore, is this true? If so, I can probably go that route.

Thanks,

Laquer Head

I'm pretty sure people were still able to do the Windows 10 upgrade for free. Have you considered just downloading the .ISO right from microsoft and formatting the entire machine with Windows 10?

No, I haven't, it's 7 years old, will 10 work on it? I upgraded 2 other computers to 10 and had to do several things to them to get them to do certain tasks.
I thought the free upgrade was over?
I just seen something about "Easy Recovery Essentials", any thoughts on that?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If it had windows 7 on it then you just upgrade to 10 for free and yes the upgrade still works. I've done it many times. Then once you upgrade to 10 you can choose to reset pc and have it delete file and settings and it will be a new pc. Just had to do this the other day.

Laquer Head

No, I haven't, it's 7 years old, will 10 work on it? I upgraded 2 other computers to 10 and had to do several things to them to get them to do certain tasks.
I thought the free upgrade was over?
I just seen something about "Easy Recovery Essentials", any thoughts on that?
Yeah you'll be good, not sure the actual reason, but a bunch of people have been installing Windows 10 upgrade on all sorts of machines, well past the supposed 'free' period cutoff!

I would absolutely recommend you go this route.. also read below what @johnb35 has mentioned!!

If it had windows 7 on it then you just upgrade to 10 for free and yes the upgrade still works. I've done it many times. Then once you upgrade to 10 you can choose to reset pc and have it delete file and settings and it will be a new pc. Just had to do this the other day.

I will surely look into to that, then.
Where/When will it ask to reset?
The other 2 computers I upgraded still has all the programs and stuff before the upgrade. The reason I did the one at work is because it would lock almost every day for about an hour and I couldn't do anything. Since the upgrade it's seems to be doing much, much better.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You really don't want to be doing anything while download the update or you can actually create the update dvd from home and update that way. Internet will be slow for everyone else while it downloads the update.