Resolutions affect gameplay?

bumblebee_tuna

Can having your desktop at higher resolutions affect gameplay?

Edit: Meaning that your desktop, not the actual in-game itself at a higher resolution........

b3rt_d4ni3l

yes... my laptop lags when playing GuildWars at 1024x768 or watever the second number is (can't rmmb)... i tried putting it on lowest setting but with same resolution, game still lags badly... :(
then i tried lowering the resolution to 800x600 and it improves though not very much... setting are high now (w/o AA still) though at certain area it still lags sometimes depending on how many ppl at that same spot...

darksideleader

of course thats why they made SLI and crossfire cards, only 50% performance improvement but the only way to improve performance on huge resolutions.

b3rt_d4ni3l

oops... didn't read the editted part... :eek: :p
sorry about that...
yeah, desktop resolution doesn't affect game at all... :D

Martingale00

yes... my laptop lags when playing GuildWars at 1024x768 or watever the second number is (can't rmmb)... i tried putting it on lowest setting but with same resolution, game still lags badly... :(
then i tried lowering the resolution to 800x600 and it improves though not very much... setting are high now (w/o AA still) though at certain area it still lags sometimes depending on how many ppl at that same spot...

Hi there...just out of curiosity you're running a 8800GTX with an E6600 and it was lagging badly at 1024x768? How much system resources does Guild Wars take up? :eek: I'd think with that set up you'd be able to run pretty much anything at 1280x1024. The reason I'm asking is the E6600/8800 combo was what I was thinking about building next. Have you ever run 3DMark on the system?

Redbull{wings}

Hi there...just out of curiosity you're running a 8800GTX with an E6600 and it was lagging badly at 1024x768? How much system resources does Guild Wars take up? :eek: I'd think with that set up you'd be able to run pretty much anything at 1280x1024. The reason I'm asking is the E6600/8800 combo was what I was thinking about building next. Have you ever run 3DMark on the system?

I think that the specs in his sig are his desktop and the lag he is talking about is on his laptop

b3rt_d4ni3l

yup... the one i was talking about is my laptop.. it has GeForce Go 6200 in it and its only 128MB... TurboCache doesnt help either.. :eek:

elitehacker

Resolution definitely affect gameplay, how can you play without seeing what is the going on in the screen? try playing doom 3 in 640x480 and you will see what I mean.

Geoff

VIP Member
As cromewell (and others) have said, it doesnt matter what your desktop resolution is, since the game runs in whatever resolution you set it to. The only thing that is effected is the time it takes to switch via ALT+TAB, and time it takes to close out, since the desktop and game need to be re-adjusted again.

elitehacker

I wouldn't recommend you alt-tabbing during a game, why would you need to do that? To start the trainer? Some games stop you from alt-tabbing like Doom 3.

xBoom

I wouldn't recommend you alt-tabbing during a game, why would you need to do that? To start the trainer? Some games stop you from alt-tabbing like Doom 3.

Sometimes you wanna rest a bit, browse the website or to check email while letting your GPU rest too. I do it often. And one more thing, looking for the game's hints on the internet (Doom 3 has pretty complicated maps though).