Resolving computer start up problems

lynx6200

I was recently informed that the problems I had were due to my psu failing. So, i had the psu replaced, with a better one ironicaly, considering it was replaced under warranty. Anyway, this does not seem to have resolved the problem.

As the computer starts, everything appears to run for about 7 seconds, than shuts off. There is a post code on my m/b that reads 9c and 9f as/after it shuts off.

Ive removed the video card and HD, but get the same results. I was thinking the m/b may be bad, or the cpu came loose under the heat sink, but I dont know if those are possibilities?

randruff

in my opinion, it sounds like a heat issue. Does it always shut off at the exact same point (ex. when its loading a certain driver, etc.)? If that is the case, albeit a faint possibility, it could be a corrupted driver. Another thing, which you touched on, is make sure the cpu is firmly seated as well as the heatsink and fan. Does the fan spin when you fire up the cpu?

lynx6200

Yes, the fans and everything seem tio start up when powered, and the at about 7 seconds, every time, the computer makes a loud beep, shows the post codes, and shuts down (it doesnt get to bios or showing anything on screen). I was gonna check that the cpu has not come loose, but I would think the heat sink should hold in place, but im also no sure how to get the heat sink back without damaging the m/b.

Lax

VIP Member
Did you look up the post code in your manual? If it's the same post system as the one my card uses I can look it up and tell yah what it is, but I'd need to know which Bios it is so I can look it up. Problem might also lie in the PSU going bad/failed, normally it will shut down like you described if it's failing.

lynx6200

I understand the psu issue, but this is a brand new psu, which was supposed to solve the problem, but with no luck. My system specs are below, and I cant boot into bios or anything, but the bios is the same version shipped with the cd. In the user manual for the AV8 m/b 9c and 9f are not listed.

Would it do any good to clear cmos?

Last edited:

Lax

VIP Member
Well, It LOOKS like it's a Phoenix BIOS (which thought) and on my codes 9C is Set up Power Management and 9F is when it looks for the number of ATA and SCSI drives.
1. Have you tried resetting the BIOS
2. Have you looked up the beeps code on the mobo (That beeping it gives you is usually the board trying to tell you something)

P.s. Doesn't matter if the PSU is new it could still have failed or broken (DOA)

lynx6200

Okay, well, I will have to try resetting bios, (by that you mean loading fail safe defaults right? / thats the only thing i see related in the manual) when I get home tonight. When the system shuts down, its just one long continuos (same tone) beep, about 2 seconds. There dont seem to be any beep codes in my manual.

By the way, is there a way to test my psu w/ out having to buy a special testing unit at the store?

Thanks for your help

Lax

VIP Member
Resetting BIOS means taking the jumper and shorting it (moving it from pin's 2-3 to pin's 1-2 usually) move it there and leave it for about 5 seconds them move it back and try turning it on.

lynx6200

Okay, Ill give that a try, thats what I was asking about clearing cmos, at least thats what its called in the manual, by moving the jumper. Thanks

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
in my opinion, it sounds like a heat issue.
Normally id agree but within 7seconds of powerup the proc wont generate enough heat to trip the safeguards

I understand the psu issue, but this is a brand new psu
But is it a good PSU?

lynx6200

Well, what I was asking, is there anyway to test the psu? (without buying an expensive tool at the computer store) Okay, anyway, as it stands now, Ive completely taken it apart, removed the cpu and heatsink and put them back, left the m/b barebone with nothing but cpu, power connections, and case connections. With all this done, I still get the same exact problem.

I would figure its either the psu 'again :{', cpu, or m/b. Any suggestions as to which item it might be or how to test them? Thanks guys.

lynx6200

Okay, looks like I will purchase a psu tester and go from there. Thanks Praeotr. Im wondering though, do they sell multi-function testers that anyone knows of, like a single unit for testing several items, like the psu, m/b, etc.?

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Im wondering though, do they sell multi-function testers that anyone knows of, like a single unit for testing several items, like the psu, m/b, etc.?
Other than a DMM which you said you dont wanna buy, they dont .... because everything else kinda tests itself

lynx6200

Okay, I ordered the psu tester, still waiting for it in the mail, and Ill let you know the results I get when it arrives. I also double checked my m/b for details on the startup. At startup the post code shows 8.3, theres two definitions(definition:'award' save all data in stack back to cmos, 'ac2003' ATX psu ready). After a few seconds it changes to 9.C (no definition in book) and there are two beeps (such as: beeep, beeep), post code than switches to 9.F (no definition in book).

There aslo is no listing of beep codes in my book, and the only refrence I found was options in Bios to have the computer beep if it reaches the max heat set in bios. I thought that may be the resulting problem, but I cant access bios anyway, and nothing should have affected that to be a problem, as bios was reset.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, I ordered as psu tester, still waiting for it in the mail, and Ill let you know the results I get when it arrives. I also double checked my m/b for details on the startup. At startup the post code shows 8.3, theres two definitions(definition:'award' save all data in stack back to cmos, 'ac2003' ATX psu ready). After a few seconds it changes to 9.C (no definition in book) and there are two beeps (such as: beeep, beeep), post code than switches to 9.F (no definition in book).

There aslo is no listing of beep codes in my book, and the only refrence I found was options in Bios to have the computer beep if it reaches the max heat set in bios. I thought that may be the resulting problem, but I cant access bios anyway, and nothing should have affected that to be a problem, as bios was reset.
Unless the voltages are way stupidly off i dont see how a PSU problem will result in beepcodes ... usuaully it manifests in restarts and crap like that :)

lynx6200

The results are in. I finaly got the psu tester, http://www.xoxide.com/coolmax-power-supply-tester.html, but it doesnt have very precise directions/definitions. I teted the 20 pin connector as it says, and it made a sound, and all the lights went on excpet for +PG, anyone know what that means?

I then plugged in the P4 connector on the left side, the +12v light went on, but not the +5v light, so whats that mean? Any help much appreciated. In the meant time im going to look into getting the m/b replaced.

lynx6200

Well I got a rma return number for the m/b, so looks like Ill send that out, and hopefuly the current psu will work with a new m/b, but if anyone knows what that +PG led means and why it doesnt light when the others do, as mentioned above, please do tell me.