Restored backup problems

enugu

My hard drive was recently wiped clean, but I subsequently used my Windows 7 CD to reinstall the OS. I then used Nova Backup 12.5 to recover the most recent backup I had stored on an external hard drive.

The restored photos and music on my laptop all open normally, but not my document folder. Any file I attempt to open a file is met with "You don't have permission to open this file" I use Open Office, but I don't think that the problem is with open office because I am also unable to open a pdf file.

I am the sole user of the laptop and am the administrator. I have tried right clicking on a file I am trying to open, then properties>security>advanced, but the permissions all seem in order.

Can anyone please suggest a way forward?

enugu

If anyone else has experienced similar problems, you will find the answer below. I posted the same message earlier today on C/Net and quickly received the following reply which solved the problem:

That's the problem with those backup programs. It's better to use a program that only copies files, not those properties that make that you can't access them now.

Anyway, the usual solution is to take ownership of those files. Google WINDOWS 7 TAKE OWNERSHIP and you'll learn how. The underlying problem is that the user identification in the OS changed when you did that reinstall.