Restoring my computer

Oddler

I want to restore my computer back to it's factory settings. I think I contracted some weird virus from all the crap I'm downloading. I normally find the easiest way to get rid of any weird deformities my computer does by just restoring it to it's factory settings.

I have a restore disc the computer came with but when I shove it in my laptop it doesn't do anything. It opens up a folder and there's not setup.exe or anything....how do I make the disc work? It says "Recovery DVD" on it's cover so I assume it's suppose to be what reverts my computer.

I know there's better ways to deal with viruses but I have all my files backed up please answer the question above :p

TFT

VIP Member
Did you boot up with the CD in its tray or did you pop it in while still in Windows.

Check the BIOS to detect and boot from the CD first and boot with it in the tray.

Oddler

Did you boot up with the CD in its tray or did you pop it in while still in Windows.

Check the BIOS to detect and boot from the CD first and boot with it in the tray.

Yeah, I tried booting it up with it in the CD Tray but nothing came up. There's no setup.exe when the folder auto-opens when I have it while my computer is running.

What do you mean check the BIOS? I don't know what BIOS are. I appreciate your reply since I don't know any one that is good with computers. I really wanna render this back to it's factory settings bad. Care to go a little further in depth? :confused:

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Try hitting esc, delete, F1, F2 or F10 at startup, one of them should get you to the BIOS or at least open up a menu that lets you choose which device to boot off (in which case you'll want the CD). You need to do this way early right when the computer boots up & POSTs; after the windows logo comes up it's too late.