Restricted sharing

curioustechy

Hi all, I'm new to this forum.
This is my issue
I've 7 computers in my of office. 4 of them run in xp, 2 in win 7 & the last one runs on win 8.1. All computers are connected together as a workgroup. I've a file on one computer running win xp. This file has to be given accessibility to read and write permission in both win 7 computers, win 8.1 computer and one specific win xp computer. Remaining two win xp computers should have only read access to this file. They should not be even able to delete that file. How I create such partial restriction.
Thank you

Geoff

VIP Member
Have you thought about using a file server and a domain such as Active Directory instead of using workgroups with file sharing on each computer?

curioustechy

Seriously this would be a lot easier to manage now and in the future.

Yes. It's correct. But presently I'm not in a position to set up a domain system.

By the way I'm having another issue. My pc is running in win 8.1, my friend raj runs win xp, another one sudev runs in win 7. There are a couple of other systems mostly running in win xp.... we all are in workgroup. From sudev's win 7 pc I can access my win8 pc and raj's win xp pc. But from my win8 pc I'm not able to access either of these pcs. What's going wrong?

animostical

The issue with not making a domain controller is you would not be able to restrict files the way you want. Unless you created local Users on the one computer/server you want that will be sharing the files, because the only way to restrict the files is using an ACL which only lets you restrict using User Names.

For your Win 8 pc, can you ping any of the other computers?