Resurrecting a dinosaur

My cousin has a Compaq computer. AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz. Model: SR1738NX

Man, that's OOOOOOLD! I know, throw it away... Well, that's not an option.

Is it possible to have an adequate game experience in World of Warcraft on lower settings with <$100 of upgrades?

Don't laugh, I'm totally serious.

Computer is totally stock, the model number demonstrates 512Mb RAM, but somehow it came with 1Gb. I'm pretty sure the VGA is straight from the mobo. (I haven't seen this computer for a while and I'm trying to hook my bud up with a little surprise). So if you've got ideas, I'd love to hear them... unless you're going to tell me to chuck the computer altogether. hehe

Mattu

Does the mobo have a graphics slot? Is it AGP or PCI Express? An addition of just a better video card might do the trick.

PS.. nice to see another Tennessean here :cool:

Edit.. after googleing that model number, I found that it has a PCI Express slot. So perhaps a decent PCI Express card would do the trick, however wait for more advice on what card to choose

Last edited:

Mattu

Since the mobo can only handle DDR memory, it will be costly to upgrade the memory since manufactures are now focusing on the more modern DDR3 which is less expensive. However, the minimum system requirements for WoW is 1 GB, so you might be able to squeeze by with that. (I say might too because DDR is slow compared to newer stuff) However, like I said, wait for more advice on the options you have for GPU (video card) upgrades as that would be your best rout for an upgrade.

Last edited:

SslagleZ28

SslagleZ28

$25 for both? Sold. I'm not going to have the money for a couple of days, though. How would we arrange the transaction?

yeah for both, paypal works, it protects both partys, just post up in the thread there, we should keep sales out of the help sections I think:good:

CardboardSword

More RAM is always good, but I'm afraid a low end Compaq won't leave you much, if any power headroom. The biggest problem with upgrading OEM machines is that they come with a power supply just barely capable of keeping the machine going, anything more added in has a tendency to have nasty results. This is only made worse by the fact that GPUs are the largest power hogs in most systems. Before you go shopping for a GPU, you need to know how much power you have available in your power supply.

We'll do a check of the PSU shortly, I actually thought about that just before you posted. I can't find what the specs are on the stock PSU... grrr..
But the tiny little GPU is SOOOOOO diminutive.. hopefully it'll just clear.