Retiring the X2 4600

th3ha1og0d

My sig processor is showing its age...I'm gonna be upgrading very soon, in fact as soon as possible. I'll be buying a new motherboard too, as well as RAM, but since this is the CPU forum I'll ask the gurus:

Best bang for the buck for gaming? I need something for under $200 CDN. Preferably $150. Doesn't need to be blazing quick, just a worthy upgrade over what I already have. I've been out of the game so long that I don't even know which CPU's are still in the lead, although I'm getting the impression that AMD isn't doing too well. I checked out some of the Phenom 1's and 2's, I don't really know what the differences are, but the wattage on them is unacceptable. Intel seems to be much more energy efficient.

Also, with boxing day coming up (canada version of black friday) do you think I'll see any significant discounts? I'll wait 'till boxing day if I have to so I can get the best deal...but I still need to know what I should be looking for...I really have no idea.

th3ha1og0d

I looked at a bunch of the Intel quads, was gonna get a q8200 but then I found a nice deal on an AMD Athlon II X4 620. It was by far cheaper than all the other quads and looks to offer decent performance.

jasonn20

Well.. AMD has a nice dual core Phenom II 550 x2 that would be a big difference over your current cpu and it is popular for gaming. If you were going to spend any more on a cpu then I would jump to the 955 x4. I personally would get the 550 over the 620. If you want a quad then the 955 has become cheap and is one of AMD's best cpus. For a buget gaming rig i would go AMD.

G25r8cer

Well.. AMD has a nice dual core Phenom II 550 x2 that would be a big difference over your current cpu and it is popular for gaming. If you were going to spend any more on a cpu then I would jump to the 955 x4. I personally would get the 550 over the 620. If you want a quad then the 955 has become cheap and is one of AMD's best cpus. For a buget gaming rig i would go AMD.

Agreed

Would go with a 550 BE and use the saved money on a higher end mobo

Wish I would have done this

If your lucky you might be able to unlock the 550's 3rd and 4th cores

IE: Mobo must have sb750 chip