revive a hard drive

highrev15k

Heres my problem, I was adding another fan to my pc and one of my hard drives stopped working. I checked the sata connectors and I also checked the power connector. No problems were found. I switched out the power connectors just to be safe and still the drive dosent show up in windows.

I need some more ideas that I can test to see if this drive is really busted. I have a little bit of a hard time believing that the drive would just die all of a sudden when the others are doing just fine and they are just as old (less than a year).

I cant send it in under warranty so dont bother with that. Thanks for everything in advance.

highrev15k

I switched both the cable and the port- no change.

The drive does not show up in bios either. Any other ideas? I don't really want to buy another drive, plus i have a lot of data on that drive.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
You could try switching the control pcb on it but theres no guarantee that will fix it. You need the pcb from an identicle drive to replace it.

highrev15k

Well after many hours of trying new cables and what not I got very frustrated and angry. I was fed up with this drive and since there was no more i could do i dropped it on the ground a few times.

Guess what?! It works now!

I have no idea what I did but it now is being seen by windows and all my files are still there. Whether they are still readable is another story. Thanks for you ideas cromewell. I guess I should just start throwing more pc parts around when they start to break.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I'd back that stuff up while you can. Hard drives can take a lot of shock while they are off but dropping it still isn't something I would do regularly/at all :p

highrev15k

ya, infact the data wouldent come off. Thats all right though it was one of my cheap drives though it sucks that I couldent save the files. Before I dropped it it had finally powered on and I could easily hear the COD so i knew it was toast. No biggie, I knew HD's could fail.