Rewiring computer. Need advice.

SO I'm trying to rewire my computer for better airflow. Is it ok to remove most of the plugs and plug them back in? Will my PC still have all it's data? I probably won't rewire my Storage cards.

Darren

Staff member
Disconnecting cables won't affect your data. Usually if I need to rewire a computer I do the following.

Disconnect everything, yes absolutely everything. First wire the 24 pin behind the motherboard tray if possible. 4/8 pin CPU next, again go behind if you can although a lot of cases won't let you or your cables won't be long enough. Wire up your SATA drives, starting with stuff farthest away from your PSU and working backwards. Attempt to get as much of it behind the tray as you can. Do the same for any other extra stuff like fans. Run your SATA data cables between your drives and motherboard. Finally the GPU power connectors. Shove all the rest of the cabling out of the way as possible.

It honestly does take some practice and learning little tricks to hide stuff so don't get discouraged for your first attempt. Your 4/8 pin CPU connector frequently can run underneath your GPU if it doesn't reach behind your board. Your HDD cages also make a good spot to stash extra stuff.

_Glitch

If you are doing it for cooling performance, you might not see a noticeable difference. Linus tech tips have proven that.

Still a good thing to have nice cable management. But if you are having heating issues, it's more likely to be dust in the heat sinks.

Disconnecting cables won't affect your data. Usually if I need to rewire a computer I do the following.

Disconnect everything, yes absolutely everything. First wire the 24 pin behind the motherboard tray if possible. 4/8 pin CPU next, again go behind if you can although a lot of cases won't let you or your cables won't be long enough. Wire up your SATA drives, starting with stuff farthest away from your PSU and working backwards. Attempt to get as much of it behind the tray as you can. Do the same for any other extra stuff like fans. Run your SATA data cables between your drives and motherboard. Finally the GPU power connectors. Shove all the rest of the cabling out of the way as possible.

It honestly does take some practice and learning little tricks to hide stuff so don't get discouraged for your first attempt. Your 4/8 pin CPU connector frequently can run underneath your GPU if it doesn't reach behind your board. Your HDD cages also make a good spot to stash extra stuff.

Smart advice! Thank you @Darren

@_Glitch Alright...I guess that makes sense. I mean I still feel like rewiring some stuff anyways because I'm getting a couple new things. But I still feel like my computer is running slower than it should. Like I have a GTX 1070 and a core i5 and a 1080p monitor...still not getting 100 FPS on anything with decent graphics..