Right Wrist pain using computers/laptops?

alexjb

Hi everyone, I am 19 years of age and when I was 15 years old I admit I was spending too much time on computers, playing games like Runescape etc.

I decided to stop at about 15 or 16 as the pain in my right wrist became very bad and I did not seek any medical advice as I felt embarrassed about it. Also my left wrist (for keyboard) started to hurt a bit (i'm right handed)

However, I stopped using the computer and just browse the internet for about 1-2 hours a day and the pain has almost gone now, it feels okay unless I'm on the computer for over 5 hours which is rare.

The problem is that I enjoyed playing games on my computer and I feel like my wrists are fine now, I am just wondering if there's any thing that I should use to prevent these wrist pains? I have heard about gaming gloves?

Thanks everyone for your help - much appreciated :)

SuperDuperMe

Best thing to do is take regular breaks. I get the same after long sessions and i also use a pc at work so sometimes i cant play too much :p Invest in a wrist guard for your keyboard and mouse.

jamesd1981

Take regular breaks each hour or at least every couple hours, take buying some sports wrist supports, you could buy a mouse pad with a wrist rest.

Also an overlooked are is the keyboard & mouse itself, when you buy a keyboard & mouse set look not only for hot keys and features, but look at the design and curves of the set and pick a set that is ergonomic and suited to you.

SuperDuperMe

Thats a fair point. my mouse is awesome, but is completely the wrong shape for my hands, its far too small.

Hence the reason i probably have bad pains.

alexjb

Thanks everyone :)

I don't plan to play games a lot any more but on the weekends I'd like to play a game quite a bit without causing any harm to my hand as its much better compared to what it used to be :)

Thanks for the keyboard and mouse help and the guards :)

I think this keyboard looks good to buy it's the microsoft natural ergonomic keyboard 4000 :) and the mouse is logitech gaming mouse g300 and I am going to buy a wrist support (tte sports i think its called)

thanks again everyone :)

alexjb

Thats a fair point. my mouse is awesome, but is completely the wrong shape for my hands, its far too small.

Hence the reason i probably have bad pains.

We should swap are mouses I think mines too big lol

then again my brother has bigger hands than me and he's 12

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Basically its called carpal tunnel. I get it really bad every now and then. You definately want to take breaks when on a computer.

alexjb

thanks everyone :) I do take breaks but I'll make sure that I take some more :)

is the kinzu good? :) would you recommend ? I'm 6ft tall and have size 9.5 feet but my hands are unusually small haha no idea why ^^

SuperDuperMe

Kinzu is awesome for the price. I paid 20 quid for mine and its the best part iv bought for my pc easily.

But if i were you id go for the zai or sensie. Bit bigger, more dpi :D:D:D:D and more buttons.

That said if you want small, reliable, accurate (mostly.....it does have hardware mouse acceleration that cant be turned off. I dont notice it but some people swear its the son of the devil.)

The sensei and xai do not have hardware acceleration. And are awesome mouse.

Word of warning, couple any of the mice with a qck mat, they are beast too.

alexjb

Kinzu is awesome for the price. I paid 20 quid for mine and its the best part iv bought for my pc easily.

But if i were you id go for the zai or sensie. Bit bigger, more dpi :D:D:D:D and more buttons.

That said if you want small, reliable, accurate (mostly.....it does have hardware mouse acceleration that cant be turned off. I dont notice it but some people swear its the son of the devil.)

The sensei and xai do not have hardware acceleration. And are awesome mouse.

Word of warning, couple any of the mice with a qck mat, they are beast too.

Thanks man :) Sounds good! I already made an offer on eBay for a Logitech gaming mouse G300 but I might have to retract my offer of £21 and get one of these :)

Those qck mat look cool! I'm sooo getting one of them when I have enough, at the moment i'm selling everything I own on eBay just to buy this computer and monitor, it costs £490 for the pc and £158 for the monitor

I got the £60 windows 7 so far lol just need a mouse keyboard computer and monitor ;)

Darren

Staff member
I'd suggest going to a computer store and literally touching and feeling the mice they have and see what feels good. I'm on the computer probably at least 6 hours a day and never have pain and never take breaks. Not sure why. Also a good mouse pad with a cushion and a wrist keyboard cushion would help too.

My back hurts more than anything else from being hunched over.

Hi, I have wrist problems, (carpal Tunnel), however mine was caused through repetitve movements in work.(Operating Machinery)

When I use the Keyboard or Mouse I have to wear a sports wrist strap to support the ligaments in the wrist.

When it gets too painful, I use IBULEVE to ease the pain, unfortunatly there is (as far as I am aware) no cure for it.

Terry

linkin

VIP Member
The big thing is to get your chair height & monitor height comfortable, but that comes secondary to make sure your wrists are more or less straight when typing. Being further away from the screen/desk doesn't help there.

alexjb

Thanks for your answers :) I will have to make sure that I get a good chair and desk together, also the sports wrist is a great idea! :) thanks :)