Room Lights Flickering at Load

Darren

Staff member
I have a string of lights running around my bedroom wall. It's hooked up to a timer that turns on in the evenings and is also used as a switch, and has been up since September.

Yesterday, while playing The Witcher 3 I noticed the lights were "pulsing". It was incredibly faint and a consistent pace. I initially thought I was seeing my heartbeat in my eyes or something because it was almost imperceptible, but enough to annoy me. My roommate saw it too so I wasn't losing it. :D

Anyway, I tried turning off my third monitor and it stopped. Turned it back on, flicker is back. Alt tabbing out of the game also made it stop. I'm clearly pulling too much power in my room.

My computer and speakers are plugged into a surge protector at one wall outlet and the lights are in a different outlet. I also have a minifridge on the other side of the room.

Anything I can do to prevent this? I'm not really sure why it started just now. Is this any sign of a power issue with my computer itself? I'm guessing just mediocre wiring in the apartment combined with too much voltage makes it unhappy.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If I had to guess, it would possibly be a loose wire at the outlet or issue with the psu. I would be watching very closely to make sure nothing happens.

tremmor

Besides what Jobhb said i would look at the connection at the Breaker also.
One more and a good candidate would be the receptacle itself. take out the plug
and plug it back in. Is it loose or go in tight like it should. check the common (white) wire
also in the breaker panel. make sure its not loose.