rough price for good tower

Benjidrummer

hello, im thinking of buying a new tower, ive already got a nice screen, keyboard etc, and ive seen loads on ebay, roughly how much in £'s would i be looking at for a tower that would run games such as stronghold 2, doom 3 etc, loads of them have 256mb integrated graphics, is this what i should stay clear of, because doesn't this mean its shared with the whole computer, and not very good, thanks

apj101

VIP Member
loads of them have 256mb integrated graphics, is this what i should stay clear of, because doesn't this mean its shared with the whole computer, and not very good, thanks
yeah it will share the ram, and also the onboard graphics will probably be crap

DCIScouts

VIP Member
If you're planning on running Doom 3 and other games with those type of graphics and resource demands, you should get a fairly decent graphics card with AT LEAST 512MB of RAM and pretty much any processor should be fine for the games now, it's just a matter of how long it will be fine :). A good card for you to start with would be, from the ATI group, a Radeon 9600 or from the NVidia group a GeForce 6600. But those are to start with... Here's a link to a site that will give a better overview of the capabilities of a lot of the cards that are out there right now:
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050705/index.html

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
should get a fairly decent graphics card with AT LEAST 512MB of RAM
I know what you mean but it's important to clarify that's "a fairly decent graphics card" and "a machine with at least 512MB of RAM"

from the ATI group, a Radeon 9600 or from the NVidia group a GeForce 6600
Well if the 6600 is in the picture, you should prolly scale ATI's out to 9800Pro (for price matching)

Having a graphics card with 512mb is not that important, or are you saying that a 6800ultra is a bad card
Nah he just forgot a comma

and then i updated the graphics card to one like this
You could ... but that videocard is crap ... it's just a slightly upclocked 5200