router and modem for comcast

Buddy has comcast as his wifi/cable provider, he has the x1 modem router and says sometimes its hit or miss with speed, with comcast can you choose any modem and router to replace the x1?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If he has phone service then he has to use their modem/router. I have the X1 package but only have TV and internet and use my own modem and router.

beers

Staff member
Invest the extra $10-15 into the SB6141 instead. It has double the amount of channels available so will be usable up to 300 Mbps instead of 150 Mbps like the 6121.

pretty much exactly what i was posting so glad to know i got confirmation lol. wish i could change out my modem. does it actually change ur speed or anything cause i have one from my cable company

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What speed package? If you don't have anything above say 25mb then its not worth upgrading to docsis 3 modem.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you having issues with yours? What provider do you have? You may benefit from having a docsis 3 modem.

well i posted here a few days ago that its been dropping recently but they seem to think its my router since i just reset my router and its fine.