Router Configuration Help

PohTayToez

I want to be able to configure a router such that it shares an internet connection between every device connected to it, but I do not want those devices to be able to interact with each other at all, other than what would be possible if each were accessing the internet through a separate connection. What router settings would I be looking for, and what should I set them as?

The_Other_One

VIP Member
As John said, the sharing is all based upon the computers. Regardless of the network/router, if they aren't setup to have their files accessed, they won't allow other computers in. You could configure their firewalls or use third-party ones to add a bit more security and keep unwanted people off the PCs.

PohTayToez

I'm a little late getting back to this thread, but both of you are kinda missing the point.

What I am doing is installing several wall jacks in different parts of a building, with each leading back to a common router sharing an internet connection. People may plug computers into these jacks and access the internet, or even attach routers to them and create another network within the larger one, but I do not want anything that is connected to one jack to be able to interfere with anything that is connected to another. Basically, I do not want anything connected to one jack to pose a security risk to another. My main concern would be someone connecting to one jack and someone connected to another jack attempting to do malicious things to their computer.

I assume the easiest way to do this would be to use the router to block everything expect for HTTP, however this would limit the computer from doing ANYTHING except for standard internet access. I would still like them to be able to upload files to a sever, IM, etc. I only don't want them interfering with each other.