router help

tom40

hi just bought a new laptop so put old computer upstairs for the kids i have a router to get Internet upstairs , problem is ie works ok on the laptop but upstairs it connects for 10mis then ie stops working however instant messenger stays connected can you offer any help

tom40

just stops working altogether but as i said msn stays online , if i turn computer on an back on it works again for the 10mins

slaphappylinksys

maybe try using mozilla firefox instead of internet explorer its alot faster and i have to say that i dont get any spyware ne more with it.

altho some online bank sites and online college classes stuff like that sometimes dont like mozilla.

i would give it a try.

second r u using vista or xp because ive had that happen to me too on vista and i found out it was a grumpy router reset the router and havent had the problem since.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

tom40

hi , sorry im on xp pro sp2 , ive reset the router , turned of both systems then reset router switched both on a same time it finds internet ok but still only lasts for 10mins again ,switched to mozilla firefox still no joy , what i find strange is if i go into Network Connections status after internet fails it says connected and as i said msn stays online plus outlook express still sends and recieves email
thanks
tom

Gravegun

Wireless routers, and routers well how can I say this? They are man made. I recently had to replace my linksys router 2 times It was Wireless- and switched to a Wireless-G gateway. They first tech the came and installed are cable and 3 text support people from linksys said they had no clue. They would always tell me they always have random issues like this. Sorry I mean Comcast, cause there my ISP. Linksys makes the parts fine my house is the only place I've seen this issue. I have installed about 3 this past week and recalled the people and never herd of any issues outta them.

tom40

thought id post a update on my problem , still no luck in getting it to work any more suggestions
thanks
tom

RoDDerz

its a common thing that routers do. all you have to do is right click on the connection (local area connection) which is under "control panel" > "network connections" and click "repair".
After this it should be fine. If that doesnt work it means the router is crashing and you have to reset it