router internet speeds

niunit

I use a seperate modem and router for my home. I just upgraded to 100mpbs and when i connect directly to the modem my ps4 can get 100 easily. However when i connect my router (which did fine before i upgraded, old plan was 20mpbs) to it i get anywhere from 25-45 I tried on my computer (wired to an extender) and phone and they all get something different. I have never cracked 50. I have a wnr2000v5 router. I know that routers in general can spit out good speed since my parents have the same 100mpbs at home and when i run the speed test there with my phone I can get 100 easy. I live in an apartment and put it to band 1 (which is where it has always been) My extender is about 20 feet apart since my computer is in bad spot for wifi. Does a higher quality router mean I would be better off? Or is my router to cheap to push out those speeds?

beers

Staff member
wired to an extender
Extenders will destroy your wireless performance.
wnr2000v5 router
I live in an apartment
2.4 GHz in any sort of shared living situation is also horrible. You will get much better performance with a dual band router (5 GHz) and client NICs or devices that can support that 5 GHz band.

2.4 GHz only offers 3 non-overlapping channels at the default 20 MHz width, meaning if you have more than 2 neighbors with wifi, they're interfering with your signal.

niunit

My extender is no different in speed compared to a wired connection to my ps4. Is there anyway to know if moving to a different band would help (i believe 1, 6 and 11 are optimal) or if my router just going down the dumps.

niunit

I thought i read if its 1,6,11 its not looked at as interference, but you may get slowed down. This may be the samething though. If I get a 5ghz one, is there something I should look for? A certain band to use?

niunit

Extenders will destroy your wireless performance.

2.4 GHz in any sort of shared living situation is also horrible. You will get much better performance with a dual band router (5 GHz) and client NICs or devices that can support that 5 GHz band.

2.4 GHz only offers 3 non-overlapping channels at the default 20 MHz width, meaning if you have more than 2 neighbors with wifi, they're interfering with your signal.

If you connect wired to your router would that still use the 2ghz network and cause issue or would it only happen if it's wireless because it happens on both.

_Pete_

2.4 GHz and 5 GHz refers to the wireless frequencies that the router works at. Neither of those two frequencies come into play when you use ethernet. Ethernet is wired so the constraints that are put on your connection between your computer and your router are the losses incurred in the wire. Usually because of the length of the wire. You can get less lossy cable but all wire will be lossy to an extent depending on the length of the run.

niunit

Well that seems like a big drop. I have the cables it came with which are about 3 feet long. Are there newer cables that are needed? I suppose it's either a bad cable or a hardware issue.

niunit

I'm not home at the moment. I wouldn't know where to find qos. I'm all about plug and play. I'll probably try both the cables I have directly connecting to my laptop from the modem to rule out cables.