Router Issues: Will a Network Switch Work?

P11

VIP Member
Hey guys,

I have a D-Link Gamerlounge 4300 and I have had issues with my Xbox 360 for quite some time (unable to connect to certain people). I have done all the port forwarding microsoft recommends but it still doesn't work. So now I would like to know if I bought a Unmanaged Network switch would it work (i.e. does it still block ports?) and in addition will it work with my DSL connection seeing as I have 3 computers connected and 1 xbox. I heard that it won't because it only assigns 1 IP address leaving the other 3 devices useless. Regardless, let me know if this would work.

Thanks in advance.

Vipernitrox

you can't simply replace a router with a switch. what sort of setup do you have? Does the router have an integrated modem or something? or do you use a separate modem?

If you have an a separate modem you could replace it with a switch.
but that would mean you'd have to set all of the ip configurations of your 3 computers and your xbox (don't even know if that's possible) manually.
You could also use one of your computers as a gateway for all the others. But that would mean you'd have to keep that one on if you want internet on the others.
The most logical option would be to buy a new router. But then you'll have to be sure the router is the problem and not something else.

MrBucket

We have like 5-6 computers running on one router due to my dads business but i had a ps2 running on the network just fine, but we did get an occasional linksys router burnout so yours might be starting to do the same