Router logging

AlienNova

Before I start, I believe this to be the right place for this to be placed, if not can a mod move it to it's proper place?

So, I'm wondering if there's a way I can log pings to my IP. One of my "friends" recently obtained a DDoSing program, that he has proven multiple times on innocent people that it can work almost instantly. I know that all the program does is ping your external IP for an absurd amount of information one after the other.

The reason I ask for the log is so I know how much data he's requesting and what port he is using so I can prevent this from happening to me, which I suspect has already happened multiple times.

beers

Staff member
Not really without enterprise-grade equipment. Then you could use something like Netflow in order to get a chart of how much ICMP traffic went through a particular interface.

If you just set up anything that said 'log every ping request' you'd chew through disk space pretty quickly. You may be able to set up a firewall rule to drop ICMP echo packets as they come in.