Router? Not a clue...

Ryan88

Hello

I have Virgin Media Internet, formely known as Telewest Broadband. I am looking for a router, and I have looked on Websites etc, but the majority seem to be compatible with BT only.

Can anyone reccomend a good reasonable priced router, for my ISP.

Thanks,
Ryan.

Adam135

I am assuming you have a ethernet port on the back of your modem. It would look like this -
LaptopEthernet.JPG

If so you need a cable\DSL router not a ADSL Router

There is two options. Cabled, or Wireless.

NETGEAR DG834 WIRED

NETGEAR WGR614 WIRLESS

You are looking for a Cable DSL Router,

Hope this helps.

slaphappylinksys

first dont think of just now think the future what if i have family come over with laptops how are they gonna connect, what if i go to a different room with a laptop and dont have enought ethernet cable to run in that room

i personaly suggest getting a wireless router like the linksys i have linked below. i have had mine for two years and it works just the same as the day i got it.

if you get this router you dont have to use the wireless but the option is there if you need it. to turn it off you simply go to the online setup menu.

usually 168.192.1.1 in your web browser.
you will come to a log in screen Do Not enter a username leave it blank

go to the password enter admin press enter

it will load to the setup menu click the wireless tab

in the drop down menu next to the Wireless network Mode (if you dont want wireless access click "Disabled") this setting will not broadcast wireless, but still allow you to use the ports on the back

after you have set this up go to the Administration tab, go to router password put in a new password you will remember and enter it and then in the re enter password click save settings and your done enough to use your router

sorry so long but thats enough info to get you going

any problems send me a message Good Luck

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=0034939789B02

Last edited:

Ryan88

Thanks for all the help, both of you.

My modem has an ethernet option, or a USB one. My internet doesn't use the ethernet, just the USB. Will this effect anything?