Router problem

kopi

I had ethernet cable connected to my desktop computer and it worked. Than I put ethernet cable in router(Belkin N150), because I needed wireless source. And connected my desktop computer with ehternet cable(via router) and it also worked. Now I trying to remove router and connect my desktop computer to ethernet cable and it does no longer work(internet on desktop computer, It says limited on no no conectivity).
When I try to troubleshot(repair option) computer says it is reeving IP address and cannon renew it(I don't have IP address apparently) What can I do? Thanx for answers.

kopi

I forget to write that the problem is only when there is no router connected. If router is connected, the internet works.

beers

Staff member
Why not just use the router? It's a much better approach than directly exposing your desktop to the Internet.

kopi

I am trying to change the router. And I am experiencing problems that weren't there before. Although I write the connections with router works there are some problems(Disconnections, working very slow sometimes). So now I would like to restore to the state it were before and go form there. Btw, why is router better that direct connection?

kopi

I had already tried uninstalling antivirus, comands; ipconfig/release renew , netsh winsock reset, disabling firewall, disabling and enabling connection and nothings changed. Can I try something else? Would it make sense to manually insert some IP?

beers

Staff member
What speed of connection and type of traffic are you using? A Belkin N150 is a very low-end device.

kopi

The speed is about 10 Mbps, as for the router as I said, I now only want to connect the computer to ethernet directly but it does not work. What do you mean by type of traffic?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
When you are disconnecting from router and connecting directly to modem then you need to do an ipconfig /release and then ipconfig /renew at command prompt. Unless you are doing something different.

kopi

That is what I did. And after restart of computer it start working again.So can now please tell me why it is better to use router than direct ethernet connection and what router is good?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well, using a router will give you option of having wireless available to use when you need it. Also router provides some security to where a modem doesn't.

Geoff

VIP Member
That is what I did. And after restart of computer it start working again.So can now please tell me why it is better to use router than direct ethernet connection and what router is good?
Well for one, connecting directly from your modem to your PC only allows that one device to access the internet. You can't connect other wired or wireless devices without using a router with integrated switch.

Secondly, you have no protection from the outside, so it's much easier for intruders to gain access to your machine.