Router Q?

HP 2000-299WM, SuddenLink Internet/Cable

I rent my router from SL. I want to buy a new router from WM but just need something inexpensive for just basic surfing, You Tube videos, and online bill paying. Any suggestions? :confused:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Now are you talking about a modem or a modem/router combo unit? You usually only rent modems from your provider not routers unless its a modem/router all in one unit. And you should check to see what modems they support or you are wasting your time.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That is a modem and router all in one unit. You would need to find out what models they support before we can recommend one. And besides you are better off getting 2 separate units instead of a combo unit.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Ask them what cable modems they support because you want to buy a new one.

tech savvy

You rent your router/modem from your ISP? That's weird.

Most ISP only work with their router/modems, I think you would have to, as they say, stack them, or link them.

You rent your router/modem from your ISP? That's weird.

Most ISP only work with their router/modems, I think you would have to, as they say, stack them, or link them.

Um, speak english. :D You lost me there.
Enter zip code 71362 for the 2 links I provided to see my services and suggest from that info, please.

MyCattMaxx

If you are going to buy a new unit look for something better.
That SMC modem/wireless router is only 10/100 Mbps on the Ethernet side.

Do you mean, 'dumb it down'? Because I can't type 'English' any better.:p

Yes, let me have a look. One sec.

Yeah, make it more dumber. :D

I just talked to BestBuy Geek Squad and they suggested a Motorola SurfBoard (there are no waves in my house) modem # SB5101U and a NetGear N300 router. Opinions? :confused:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Surfboards are perfectly fine - I have one in my house. And you don't need an advanced router, so that one would be fine. You'll just need to call your ISP (Internet Service Provider) to activate that modem on your service.

Thanx guys! :)

Tech Savvy, I lived in the Tampa Bay Area (Seffner) for the last 25 years before moving back to Louisiana. I kind of miss it.....well, except for the Bucs. :D
GEAUX SAINTS! :good:

tech savvy

Thanx guys! :)

Tech Savvy, I lived in the Tampa Bay Area (Seffner) for the last 25 years before moving back to Louisiana. I kind of miss it.....well, except for the Bucs. :D
GEAUX SAINTS! :good:

HAHA! Very funny. Yeah, Iv'e lived here most of my life, but was, no kidding, born in Louisiana, Lafayette to be exact. I live in Plant City now, but was living in Temple Terrace. I couldn't see myself moving to a different state, but would like to visit many.

HAHA! Very funny. Yeah, Iv'e lived here most of my life, but was, no kidding, born in Louisiana, Lafayette to be exact. I live in Plant City now, but was living in Temple Terrace. I couldn't see myself moving to a different state, but would like to visit many.

Ah, the Ragin' Cajuns. I live in Avoyelles parish.
My son still lives there, off of 92 & 579.
The strawberry festival is opening soon. I will miss the shortcake, but not the crowded midway!

tech savvy

Ah, the Ragin' Cajuns. I live in Avoyelles parish.
My son still lives there, off of 92 & 579.
The strawberry festival is opening soon. I will miss the shortcake, but not the crowded midway!

That's my area there, I might know him. That's if he's 20+ years of age. I don't really have, or hang out with younger people, do to priorities and maturity reasons.

Yeah, Cajuns! I love spicy foods and extracts. I eat habanero's like apple's. I actually have a 'Aquaponics System' in my kitchen growing 'Naga Bhut Jolokia' peppers.

Edit: CAUTION - EXTREMELY HOT!

Last edited:
That's my area there, I might know him. That's if he's 20+ years of age. I don't really have, or hang out with younger people, do to priorities and maturity reasons.

Yeah, Cajuns! I love spicy foods and extracts. I eat habanero's like apple's. I actually have a 'Aquaponics System' in my kitchen growing 'Naga Bhut Jolokia' peppers.

His name is Robert. He's 25, graduated from Armwood, and plays softball. He drives a green 96 Toyota Corolla. He lives on Claypit Dr.