Router questions

kopi

Hi,
I am thinking of buying router. I plan to connect two computers with wires and one table wirelessly. I saw that there is a lot of different ones with different function and large price span. I saw that there is also a lot of information about advantages and disadvantages. Now I am asking if somebody have any advice or experience, what is god to buy and I also have some specific questions that I am not sure about.
- Does "classical" routers has over two floor range?
- If you connect desktop computer to router, does the IP changes?
- Is every desktop pc and tablet compatibility with every router and which one aren't if not?
- How does router on general influence on speed of internet?

Thanx for answers.

beers

Staff member
What speed of internet do you have and how big is your house?

1) Routers are a lot better horizontally than vertically. If you have more than two floors you may need another access point on an upper floor.

2) You would be using internal addressing for your hosts/computers. They would share an external IP address from your provider. You will likely get a different external IP when swapping from directly cabled to a router as your WAN facing MAC address will change.

3) Most of them are, newer standards are backwards compatible with old ones. Wired connectivity wise they all use 10/100 or 10/100/1000 and should work together.

4) If the router is cheap or low end it may bottleneck faster Internet connections (100 mbps+). Otherwise you should see the same speed on wired, wireless will depend on the standard, signal strength and other factors.