Router speed

Punk

Staff member
Hey guys,

My desktop MB doesn't have any Wifi, and I have a big stone wall seperating the room where the internet box is and my room. The solution I see is having a router near my room (and receiving the box wifi through the door) and connecting my desktop through the ethernet cable I already have. What speed should I look for?

My internet isn't very powerful where I am now, just tested it and got:
  • 4.85 Mbps download
  • 0.88 Mbps upload
Yup, I live in a village in France :)

Geoff

VIP Member
Connecting your desktop to the router via ethernet would be the best option. Do you know if you have decent WiFi signal in your room from your wireless router? While stone walls are awful for WiFi, if the router is close enough you may still get a decent signal.

beers

Staff member
Pretty much anything will work with your WAN speed.

If you do wired transfers between PCs all of the time you'd want gigabit LAN ports, or if you were transferring over wifi you'd want 802.11ac

Otherwise most ones off of the shelf should be sufficient, I just wouldn't buy the cheapest one you can find :)

Punk

Staff member
Pretty much anything will work with your WAN speed.

If you do wired transfers between PCs all of the time you'd want gigabit LAN ports, or if you were transferring over wifi you'd want 802.11ac

Otherwise most ones off of the shelf should be sufficient, I just wouldn't buy the cheapest one you can find :)
I'm really just looking for getting the internet to my computer at the best speed it can so I can play online, download etc :)

beers

Staff member
I'm really just looking for getting the internet to my computer at the best speed it can so I can play online, download etc :)
Yep, just about anything manufactured in the last 10 years can route 5 mbps. ;)

'Gaming' routers are largely a marketing scheme.

Geoff

VIP Member
Haha I didn't know this existed. So any speed would work, higher speed are for data transfers in network?
Giving what you told us about your wall, you may need to stick to the 2.4GHz band over the faster 5GHz band, but getting a dual-band wireless router would be the best option if you can afford it. At this time, I'd look at an 802.11ac wireless router. Sure you may not need it now, but if you ever transfer large files over the network or perhaps think you may upgrade your internet in a few years, it will be nice to have.

Punk

Staff member
Giving what you told us about your wall, you may need to stick to the 2.4GHz band over the faster 5GHz band, but getting a dual-band wireless router would be the best option if you can afford it. At this time, I'd look at an 802.11ac wireless router. Sure you may not need it now, but if you ever transfer large files over the network or perhaps think you may upgrade your internet in a few years, it will be nice to have.

I don't plan on staying here, I'm at my parent's right now, this is just for a year to end my studies. In fact it might be even quicker so I really just want to connect internet to my desktop, no need to transfer data over the network.

Geoff

VIP Member
I don't plan on staying here, I'm at my parent's right now, this is just for a year to end my studies. In fact it might be even quicker so I really just want to connect internet to my desktop, no need to transfer data over the network.
I may have misunderstood your first post, but are you able to run an ethernet cable from your computer to your router? Or is that not an option?

Punk

Staff member
Yes I have a 10 m Ethernet cable, and since I don't have wifi on my motherboard, that seems to be the best option.