Router to router

n0mad31

Hy guys(and lady's ofcourse ;) ),

I am going to experiment with flashing some Lynksis routers with 3rd party firrmware.
There is but one problem:

When I fix this I need to plug it to the router/modum my provider gave me. Why? Becouse it has the richt connector for the kable thats providing my Internet-signal and my Linksys doesnt have it!!!

So I have to configure my (first/normal) modum/router in such a way that It wont conflict my flashed Linksys when connecting it and using it as my default router.
Idealy.. It (router nr1) should only function as a gate without any routing function. (thats the only way I see this work as a newbie to a lot this kind of networking)

If I am wrong I would like someone to tell me why and give me some directions or methods to make this work.

I also like TIPS ... allot :)

Greetz

beers

Staff member
Usually you can just hardwire your PC to the router you are working on. Most default configurations would enable a separate DHCP server on your LAN which will conflict with your other internal clients.

Geoff

VIP Member
Sounds like you have a modem and router combo provided by your ISP. Your Linksys device is just a router, it doesn't have cable or DSL modem capabilities, hence why you still need your ISP device.

You could look at your ISP modem/router and see if you can turn it into just an access point, or you may need to turn your Linksys device into just an access point and have it not function as a router.

If you use two routers in-line, you are going to have problems communicating with devices that are connected to both devices, either wired or wirelessly, plus with double NAT going on you are going to have trouble with port forwarding and possibly gaming.

n0mad31

Hy Geoff..

You get it ! Now you are where I stand.
How do you turn a router into a simple gateway? Or normal modem?

Any sugestions? The device I need to change is A Technicolor TX7200 u. The thing is Indeed multi-functional.

(Reason why I whant to that extra router is because I flashed two Linksys'es (WRT54GL and WRT160N v3) with DD-WRT firmware. Thats what I want to use.)

Or... Should it be better to buy a modem of somekind @ ebay and use that?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to use the linksys as your main router then you'll have to get rid of your modem/router combo unit and just get a modem unless your modem has a setting to only make it a modem and not use the router function but I doubt it.

How fast is your internet speed? The wrt54gl will limit your speed if you have a fast package over 50mbps and the wrt160n doesn't have any external antenna so that might hurt your wireless range.

Geoff

VIP Member
Hy Geoff..

You get it ! Now you are where I stand.
How do you turn a router into a simple gateway? Or normal modem?

Any sugestions? The device I need to change is A Technicolor TX7200 u. The thing is Indeed multi-functional.

(Reason why I whant to that extra router is because I flashed two Linksys'es (WRT54GL and WRT160N v3) with DD-WRT firmware. Thats what I want to use.)

Or... Should it be better to buy a modem of somekind @ ebay and use that?

If you want to use the linksys as your main router then you'll have to get rid of your modem/router combo unit and just get a modem
This is the best solution. If you have a cable modem, there are plenty of modems you can buy for under $75 that work extremely well, likely much better than what your ISP provides, plus you could save $10/mo (i.e. Comcast) by providing your own equipment.

There probably isn't a simply checkbox that allows you to use it as a modem or access point only, you'd probably have to go through all the options such as turning off DHCP, setting up a DMZ, disabling NAT, etc., etc. In the end, buying a dedicated modem would be the best option.

I'm also curious what speeds you pay for, and what you actually get by visiting www.speedtest.net.