router tp-link wr841nd decrease rapidly the speed - how to fix it?

c0d3r

Hi, I bought a new router because:

1) my old one (Tenda W311R+) started to behave strangely -> just haven't shown the WiFi .. times to times, it apeared but disappeared in a second .. it started with occasional disappearing but now, it's like missing all the time .. and it appear for a few seconds only
frown.gif

2) wired connection on the old one works great (full speed provided by provider 50/50)

and, because the old was a quite old (10yrs) I decided to buy new one -> TP-LINK WR841ND

According to reviews - it seemed great, BUT !!!

After I turn on the router, set it up the wierdest thing started to happen... router is rapidly decreasing the speed of download and upload as well ... instead of 50/50 it just about 0.8/20-30 which is ridiculous
smile.gif
I do not mind the upload, but download is big headache for me

I've tried almost everything - settings, default settings, factory reset, firmware is the newest one, .... I've tried to disable/enable everything, try almost all possible combinations in setup ... nothing worked

Strange is, that wired connection is the same as WiFi connection ... both are cut to 0.8/20-30 ..

do you have any idea what is going on here? Is there any way how to setup the router ?? Or do you have any idea how to fix the old one to show wifi without dealing with the dropping ? Or have I bought just shitty piece? And do I need to buy another one (I mean different brand) ??

If you need more information, please let me know .. I will provide it

PS: speed was measured on speedtest[dot]net

Thank you guys

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would go with an Asus router to be honest. Have you tried resetting the old one back to factory? 10 years is a pretty long time to have a router. I would think its lived past its lifetime.

Tplinks are usually okay, must have just gotten a bad one.

c0d3r

Yes, i tried almost everything even with the old one ... nothing worked ...

"I've gotten a bad one" - that's exactly what I thought for the first time too .. so I brought it back to the shop and they replaced it with the brand new one ... and guess what? Still the same :( I am just desperate ..

I have no problem to buy new one .. I am not an internet noob but this is complete new to me (router's behaviour), I am just curious what could cause this kind of behavior

beers

Staff member
Sounds kind of odd. I'd disable QoS which you probably already have done.

If you do a MAC clone to the previous router MAC do you see similar behavior? What do you have as a modem?

Also, that's a pretty low end router as well. Usually you get a lot higher quality appliance at ~$50 or above.

c0d3r

SOLUTION:
I have found a solution ... the question was "incompatibility" between provider's modem and NEW router... so I've used old router (with disabled wifi) as a bridge between the modem and new router (wifi works great and wired connection as well) ... now, it works great :)