Router unhackable?

little_drive

Hello,

I wonder if it is true that computers behind a router are unhackable?

Cause in example: I got an computer on 208.122.999.232 that tries to connect to 232.121.242.999 (I know an IP adres cannot have the number 999 because it has only an range until 255)

The computer that the hacker wants to hack behind the IP 232.121.424.999 is the computer in a LAN with the IP adres 112.121.212.122 so if the hacker knows from social engineering that the computer is vulnerable to a DCOM RPC exploit and tries to hack into it and types 232.121.424.999 in the target IP adres it would fail. (no firewall etc. activated)

So that means that is impossible to hack it or not?

And I would like to know if it is possible for an outsider to find out on what LAN IP a computer is without the possibility to hack a router?

Greetx Little

Jerkstore

It is very possible for an intruder to get behind your firewall and router.
Once behind your firewall and connected remotely to your LAN, the attacker is considered a 'trusted user' allowing them much more flexability in term of gaining access to your system without you knowing. If your firewall is saying that there is an intrusion attempt, then it is either an application that is untrusted, so it's being blocked and notifying you, or else someone is portscanning your network from outside.

little_drive

So it is possible to retrieve a connection from outside from my lan to my computer?

And if it is possible how can a hacker figure my LAN IP adres? (assuming that it is not possible with social engineering)

And how will my IP adres look like if I want to connect from another computer (trusted) to myself? (I know my Internet IP and my LAN IP)

Cause normally it should be like this: 0.0.0.0:1 (IP:port number)

Greetx TK

Jerkstore

your LAN IP should be something like: 192.168.1.x (manufacturer and custom settings dependant)

Once connected using your external IP, one can retrieve the routing table of connected machines. All you need to do is route your connection through your gateway pretending that you are connected internally and you will be able to rowse all network folders as if you were actually connected locally.

Depending on how you have your router set up, someone could be 'piggy backing' on one of your forwarded ports attempting to exploit a vulnerability in the application that it is forwarded to.

To be quite honest...unless you have pissed someone off online, there is a very VERY slim chance that this is indeed a hacker. If they were going to this type of extreme just to get access to your machine, then they already know a hell of a lot about what they're doing...and as such, it really isn't a challenge...the challenge is what they want.

It's most likely some form of spyware attempting a connection to your machine.

Q: Are you on a wireless network?? Is someone perhaps 'piggy backing' your wireless??

little_drive

Nope, no wireless.

Nope, nobody is "piggy backing".

It's not really about that I got an intruder but I just want to know what the weaknesses are of my network.

And I would like to know how they exploit my network, just because I'm curious.

And something that I don't understand is, I got software that let me host a webpage, using my own computer to host a webpage. It says that the person that want to visit my webpage should type in http://my.ip.x.x/page.html to access the page. But I'm behind a router, so it causes some difficulties and how to solve it? How can I premit people to visit my "hosted" webpage?

And is it possible to use tools as Core to acces somebodies computer behind a router?

Cause you only have to type in the IP and some other stuff and the program will do the rest. But if you are behind a router thus you got "2" IP's (one LAN IP and the IP from provider), so I doubt if it is possible but there are mayb some tricks that I don't know so...

Greetx Little

Jerkstore

to set up a webpage on your own machine you need to set up a DNS which will forward web traffic to a specific machine on your network. the Ip they type in is your external IP and the router forwards the connection to the required machine.

Jerkstore

A lot of new routers have a DNS service that you can activate which does all the automatic port forwarding based on the web apps you want to use.

I'd suggest using that if your router has it, otherwise you'll need to manually forward ports

little_drive

I see, but still I see no way in, so what kind of exploits are they using if their trying to get into my network (no DNS service enabled)?

And if the DNS service is enabled it should be easier for hackers to get in, am I correct?

And is it possible with a DOS attack to gain acces to a computer behind a router?

And what sites do you recommand where I can find unpatched exploits? (on www.securityfocus.com I can't really find unpatched exploits...)

Greetx Little

Last edited: