Routers, Bedlam, Confusion, Madness

OhGodHelpMe

I've got a lot of dumbness when it comes to routers.

I digress ...

So I'm working for a well-known indie musician doing audio and he seems to think I know a bunch of stuff about computers, a subject in which I skew on the low side of intermediate. Right now he's in the other room meditating, loudly, shouting OOOOOOOM ... there is no door. He thinks I'm an audio genius and probably thinks I'm slaving away writing code and soldering and doing seances and shit, but I'm really on this forum hoping someone can help me do this job that I'm getting paid for but is not in my job description.

So, problem: I've got a Westell ADSL2+ router that is connected to an ancient Sony VAIO computer running Windows XP. In the router, there are things plugged into the holes marked "dsl" and "ethernet" respectively. I assume this is magically bringing the information superhighway to this fine machine.

My problem is that he's got a Mac in the adjacent room ... Airport shows a variety of networks available, one of which may or may not be coming from this router. My esteemed employer knows literally nothing. He's 46 years old, wears a cape, and ... dear God ... now he's in the other room watching tv, listening to the radio, playing the guitar and talking to himself at the same time. NOT KIDDING! There is no door. The cacophony is deafening. I mean, it is so loud I can't even see. I'm drinking his wine now.

I don't know squat about routers, modems, internet connections, etc. I'm on the pc looking in control panel under internet connections and I see nothing that looks anything like the available network names on the mac. Is this router even producing a wifi signal??

I know this post is rambling and probably lacking in adequate information. Please forgive me as I am experiencing a high level of anxiety in my duress.

Please help.

Okedokey

Dude, verbose doesn't work on forums ;)

Post up here what the router is (make and model) and then connect to it physically with an ethernet cable.

With both the router and the pc on and connected physically, in XP go to

1. Windows button and R
  2. Type cmd
  3. Right click on command prompt and run as administrator

Type (with spaces)

ipconfig /all

Then record the Default Gateway IP address.

Then IF you have Windows XP CD then with the Command Prompt still open, insert your Windows XP cd and type:

sfc /scannow

And let it finish scanning.

Then go to Windows Update and ensure you have all the essential updates.

SHUTDOWN computer and router.

Restart

Now with the computer and router restarted go to your browser and in the url box enter the IP address recorded earlier.

This will enter your router's settings.

At this stage repost.