Routing digital audio through 9800gt

jjbpenguin

I have an EVGA Nvidia 9800gt with the spdif audio port to allow me to route audio throught the dvi port once connecting the dvi->HDMI adapter, but the motherboard that is in my HP tower doesn't have the 2 pin connector. Would I be able to splice a normal coaxial cable with my supplied 2 pin cable and route the digital out from the coaxial port on my sound car back to the video card, or will this cause problems? I would assume digital audio is digital audio and that there is a signal and a ground on each, but just wanted to make sure i didn't break anything.

So to recap, my idea is as follows.
coaxial cable plugs into digital audio out on soundcard
Other end of coax cable is cut and spliced with cable included with video card
spliced cable included with video card is plugged into video card
audio and video is sent out through dvi with the assistance of the HDMI adapter.
VICTORY! Digital Audio and Video from computer to TV for viewing pleasure.

Please offer any suggestions, warnings, or any other info that my be useful.

Thanks
Jordan

P.S. If there is somewhere to buy this cable already premade, that would be even better, as long as it isn't monster brand and cost $80.

Last edited:

jjbpenguin

What motherboard do you have? There might be an spdif out hidden somewhere on the board.

I hunted around on the board itself, and contacted HP, and someone, possibly on the forum checkup up on it and all methods came back without a port on the motherboard, although HP was little help if any. That is why I am thinking my best bet is tapping into the coax digital audio out. I can get motherboard specs once I get back from the 4th of July.