Rugged laptops

O SEA D

I am trying to find a laptop that will be suitable for a 23" boat.The laptop will have to put up with a fair bit of shock and vibration not to mention a salt water environment. Are there any recommended Laptops that may be able to handle this type of application?

Chris Chan

Take a look at Panasonic's Toughbook line, or the Itronix laptops (not sure if they're still around). I must disagree with windowsvista here; Sony doesn't produce any rugged laptops.

NB: Rugged laptops are expensive as heck. But they are used by police, coast guard, and military :D

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I don't know of any specific brands right off; I've heard of the Panasonic Toughbooks, but have not had any hands no experience... However, I would suggest looking into solid-state drives if at all possible. They are much more expensive than standard magnetic ones, but they can not be damaged due to shocks and vibrations. Besides that, a laptop should be fairly sturdy, as long as it doesn't fall off a desk or anything :p Not much else should be too easily damaged.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Toughbooks (By name :p)... and I forgot what they were... (But I heard that they could be dropped 3 feet to a concrete floor... sprayed from all sides with water... hold like 50kg or so... I forgot :( it was in a flyer...)