run off my external SSD?

zeig

my laptop has a 3.0 USB and i have an external Solid State Drive, i was wondering if i would be able to put my OS on that (as well as my games) and run off of that just while i played games so that it would be faster.

My buddy is pretty tech savvy and said he thinks i could do it but i wanted to know if anyone has or if i should just avoid this... I would keep my OS on my laptop as well so i wouldn't have to bring my SSD everywhere.

what ya think?

wolfeking

banned
I think it would work with USB3, as that is close to or may exceed the SATA speed. The worst that would happen is you may not be able to boot from it, but it wont hurt to try.

wolfeking

banned
most modern computers will boot from a USB drive. I know my HP sees all flashkeys as "USB Hard Drive" in the BIOS and boot menu.

zeig

hmm.. better yet, the SSD is really small ( i looked at it its a 500Gb) its small as far as it physical size goes.. are the external drives similar enough to the internals that i could take it out, perhaps buy a hook up of some kind and install it in my laptop? my laptop has two 500Gb HDDs currently in it.

P.S. my hard drive is this "Western Digital® My Passport® Essential™ 500GB Portable Hard Drive-USB 3.0 (Black)".... i could of sworn i read that it was just a HDD but im getting mixed articles on this...

Last edited:

kobaj

VIP Member
hmm.. better yet, the SSD is really small ( i looked at it its a 500Gb) its small as far as it physical size goes.. are the external drives similar enough to the internals that i could take it out, perhaps buy a hook up of some kind and install it in my laptop? my laptop has two 500Gb HDDs currently in it.

P.S. my hard drive is this "Western Digital® My Passport® Essential™ 500GB Portable Hard Drive-USB 3.0 (Black)".... i could of sworn i read that it was just a HDD but im getting mixed articles on this...

I hate to break it to you, that's not an SSD. Just a regular external Hard Drive.

Theoretically yes, you can pull those cases apart, take out the internal device and stuff it in your laptop to have it working. But in this situation, it would not net you any additional speed over the hard drive(s) you already have in your laptop.

claptonman

If you have a 500gb SSD, it most likely cost you about $700-800. If you got it for around $100, its just a regular HDD.