Running out of memory, got a new card, only 2 plugs. Help.

So, I was running out of memory a little bit ago with my 500 GB SSD. So I got a 1TB HDD card. I realized that my stupid motherboard only came with two plugs for hard drives. So I had to unplug it from the CD drive to my HDD. It's cool and all...But I'd like 2 more plugs for another SSD card for higher end games and for my CD drive. (Since I like playing old games on CD.) Should I just wait until I can completely upgrade my motherboard and tower? or should I get something like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...cm_sp=Homepage_FDD-_-P1_15-166-039-_-01022017

I would really appreciate the help.

Laquer Head

Just so we are clear...

You ran out of memory and upgraded from a small, fast SSD to a slow, large mechanical drive.... still not solving memory issue.. then realized you didn't have enough sata ports, so you are asking if buying a USB add-in card will solve your issues?

No no. I still have the SSD. I just got an HDD because needed some extra space for smaller games and stuff, and it was a lot cheaper. @Laquer Head I'm asking if this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA45H22W6450 will let me plug into the storage drive and CD and if it is worth it. Right right thank you @strollin
So I think I'm either gonna get that card thing or...just gonna wait a bit and completely upgrade my motherboard, Tower case (to a full instead of mid), adding maybe some better cooling...probably not liquid since it seems expensive and pointless, and maybe some more RAM. What do you guys think?

Laquer Head

No no. I still have the SSD. I just got an HDD because needed some extra space for smaller games and stuff, and it was a lot cheaper. @Laquer Head I'm asking if this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA45H22W6450 will let me plug into the storage drive and CD and if it is worth it. Right right thank you @strollin
So I think I'm either gonna get that card thing or...just gonna wait a bit and completely upgrade my motherboard, Tower case (to a full instead of mid), adding maybe some better cooling...probably not liquid since it seems expensive and pointless, and maybe some more RAM. What do you guys think?

I got ya now!

You could totally go with that add-in sata card.. but my gut feeling is this, if you already have a motherboard that only has 2 sata ports, its probably pretty old or pretty basic, or a combo of both.. this being said, its probably not worth spending a whole lot on upgrades.

I'd just get the cheap add-in card, limp by for now, and when you can do it - upgrade mobo, cpu, ram at one time.

I got ya now!

You could totally go with that add-in sata card.. but my gut feeling is this, if you already have a motherboard that only has 2 sata ports, its probably pretty old or pretty basic, or a combo of both.. this being said, its probably not worth spending a whole lot on upgrades.

I'd just get the cheap add-in card, limp by for now, and when you can do it - upgrade mobo, cpu, ram at one time.

Right. It's not old, just very basic. So yeah, I don't really need another SATA at the moment, but it'd be nice. But yeah eventually I'll just upgrade everything at once. So I guess my answer is completed thanks! Just something quick, anything you'd recommend for my next upgrade? (Hopefully cheapish)

Laquer Head

Right. It's not old, just very basic. So yeah, I don't really need another SATA at the moment, but it'd be nice. But yeah eventually I'll just upgrade everything at once. So I guess my answer is completed thanks! Just something quick, anything you'd recommend for my next upgrade? (Hopefully cheapish)
Depends what you currently have, what upgrades you require, what you consider cheap, and does it make sense..

beers

Staff member
I'd get a PCIE card for SATA instead of standard PCI, it's both 'newer' but offers full duplex traffic on the bus to the controller.

What motherboard do you have now?

Also as per others, 'memory' is a RAM related term. You might confuse people less if you use 'storage' instead :p