running pc without the 4-pin cpu

PC eye

banned
With that four wire plug not in you will probably find that the system won't even start to begin with. That's the primary power 12v feed for that section of the board. The cpu is fed by that as well as the PCI-E bus.

Bradan

just asking cuz ive accidently left it off for three whole days :D after i cleaned my psu i forgot to plug it in and i was wondering why my 12v rail was at 11.3v when its usually at 11.9 :D

:p wow my mobo battery prolly had a hard 3 days

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
That's the primary power 12v feed for that section of the board. The cpu is fed by that as well as the PCI-E bus.
The 2x2 connector supplies only the CPU, the PCIe bus is powered by the 24pin main connector. That is why PCI express boards moved to a 24pin connector (to supply the 75W potentially needed by PCIe).

Geoff

VIP Member
Are you sure you got that right? Without the 4-pinned square plug, the CPU wouldn't get any power. Are you sure you're not talking about perhaps the 4 pin on another part of the board?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard some old P4 boards were able to boot without it but I wouldn't think the IS7 was one of them

PC eye

banned
You have to go by the specifications on the board. When looking at the power requirements I think this is what trips people up a little. When you think of 4 wire plug you generally think of the 4 that go with the 20 on the main power connection. But what everyone often forgets is the auxillery 12v feed that plugs in near the cpu socket. On boards with that you will note the molex socket near the back of the case on the board itself. You can plug an extra fan or even SLI feed there.

StrangleHold

Staff member
You have to go by the specifications on the board. When looking at the power requirements I think this is what trips people up a little. When you think of 4 wire plug you generally think of the 4 that go with the 20 on the main power connection. But what everyone often forgets is the auxillery 12v feed that plugs in near the cpu socket. On boards with that you will note the molex socket near the back of the case on the board itself. You can plug an extra fan or even SLI feed there.

Dont know what all that was about!

But yes some would work without the 4 pin power connector, think some boards are still wired as they were before the 4 pin and it is used as a supplement power for the CPU, but if you pushed the CPU for power it would lock up or restart or whatever!

PC eye

banned
The yellow and black four wired plug that goes in near the cpu socket is not part of the new power configuration for main power. That is an extra 12v source now available for SLI/Crossfire setups and other devices that run on 12v. The additional 4pin plug that will detach from the main connector is due to the way the newer lines of boards are layed out for a different power distribution.

With the small 4pin plug you won't be able to start most systems. When the specifications say 24pin that small 4pin plug has to be in. It's removable so a new supply can be used on an older board with a 20pin socket. What's so hard to understand about that?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The yellow and black four wired plug that goes in near the cpu socket is not part of the new power configuration for main power. That is an extra 12v source now available for SLI/Crossfire setups and other devices that run on 12v. The additional 4pin plug that will detach from the main connector is due to the way the newer lines of boards are layed out for a different power distribution.....What's so hard to understand about that?
The part thats wrong. The black and yellow 2x2 plug supplies the CPU only. The extra 4 pins on what used to be a 20pin main power connector is because PCI express allows for 75W to be drawn and the 20pin wasn't able to provide that.

PC eye

banned
The part thats wrong. The black and yellow 2x2 plug supplies the CPU only. The extra 4 pins on what used to be a 20pin main power connector is because PCI express allows for 75W to be drawn and the 20pin wasn't able to provide that.

12v for the cpu only? Gee I thought those ran on only 1.4v. :p Meanwhile you can explain why the E-Z plug yellow + black four wire plug seems to power SLI on the Asus model here. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4179/sliezplughr6.jpg

The same E-Z plug is needed for the system to start on AMD boards. And right behind the E-Z plug there is the auxillery 12v molex next to one of the case fan plugs on the board's layout. http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/7417/slisamepluglc9.jpg The E-Z plug just happens to be next to the PCI-E slot by chance on the diagram there. http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/8080/sliauxilleryhb4.jpg

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
The EZ-pug is a 4 pin molex connector (like the one used on hard drives and CD/DVD drives).
The adapter cable allows an integrator to build a Pentium® 4 processor based system using an ATX or SFX power supply that may not provide sufficient and reliable 12 Volt power. This can lead to system component or power supply damage and/or boot failures. Standard ATX and SFX power supplies provide approximately 5A of current on the 12V supply. The Pentium® 4 processor alone is capable of drawing this amount of current, which would then leave no power for any other device in a system. Intel now recommends at least 8 Amps of current to properly power a Pentium® 4 processor based system. ATX12V and SFX12V power supplies are capable of providing this amount of power.
The ATX12V connector provides localized power for the CPU
But what do I know.

Last edited:

Archangel

VIP Member
The EZ-pug is a 4 pin molex connector (like the one used on hard drives and CD/DVD drives).

My Asus board has that Ez-plug too ( is it Asus only? :x ) and yes, its a normal molex connector. (on my board, the Ez-plug is needed when you have a 20pin PSU and using 2 grafic's cards. ( currently i have a 24-pin PSU and i still have the ez-plug connected, since i guessed it wouldnt do any harm. )

as far as i know, the 4-pin connector is only for the CPU feed, so at this point i can only agree with Cromewell =]

The_Other_One

VIP Member
PC-eye, what does that post have to do with this topic? If you're going to direct us to some article, quote it in your post and cite the link!

Now, for the post...my Abit AN8 would post without the square CPU plug(what is the official name for that :p) However, my CPU fan wouldn't spin. I've not made that mistake again...not that it caused major problems, but I don't like doing stuff like that! hehe, but you should be fine. Take the PCI Express power connection(on cards themselves) They(or most) will work without the extra power, but might act up in games and what not...

PC eye

banned
PC-eye, what does that post have to do with this topic?

The server boards were the first along with the P4 boards to require the extra 4pin plug due to increase in power demand. 24pin also started to be required on various Socket 754 model and now required in general. The atx supplies(updated) now have 20+4 instead of 20pin main connectors.