Rx6700xt not working with Dell Vostro 260. Is the motherboard too old?

geek 0001

I have an RX6700XT that I recently bought, and I'm trying to get it to work with my Dell Vostro 260 board until I can afford to upgrade the rest of the machine. I have also got a Corsair RM850 which I'm using to power it.

When I turn it on, the screen is black and my keyboard and mouse never come on. I have checked that it is seated properly, and that all the connectors are in properly, but I get nothing. I also rechecked with the GTX750ti that was previously installed, and it worked just fine.

Is this motherboard too old for this card, or could I be doing something wrong?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Either 1 of 3 things or all of them. .

1. You need a power supply of at least 650 watts recommended to run that card and your system.
2. You don't have the pci express power connectors attached to the video card from the power supply.
3. That system is just too old to run that card.

Whats the service tag number of the Dell? I can almost guarantee that card isn't gonna work in the system though.

geek 0001

Either 1 of 3 things or all of them. .

1. You need a power supply of at least 650 watts recommended to run that card and your system.
2. You don't have the pci express power connectors attached to the video card from the power supply.
3. That system is just too old to run that card.

Whats the service tag number of the Dell? I can almost guarantee that card isn't gonna work in the system though.
I am using an 850watt psu, so the psu should not be the issue, and I did make sure that the pcie connectors are plugged in to the graphics card. So I suspect that is just too old to work.

How would I find the service tag number? I don't have the original case.

Edit: Turns out that I had taken a picture of the case before I got rid of it. The service tag number is HFH4G5J if that helps.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I expect since this is machine is 7 years old or more that a 12gn video card will not work in this machine. Does it still have an I3 processor in it?

geek 0001

I expect since this is machine is 7 years old or more that a 12gn video card will not work in this machine. Does it still have an I3 processor in it?
No, I recently upgraded to an i5-2400. It also has 8GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
It's basically maxed out according to the official specs, although I've heard people claim success with an i7-2600 and 16GB RAM, I've never tried that, and I doubt it'll make a difference.

It's also running a modified version of the latest BIOS, which allows it to support AHCI.

Pupp

There's also the possibility that the card is just bad. AMD had some issues with their cards in the last 6 months. Specifically the 6xxx series.

Just google "Are AMD graphic cards bad?"

geek 0001

There's also the possibility that the card is just bad. AMD had some issues with their cards in the last 6 months. Specifically the 6xxx series.

Just google "Are AMD graphic cards bad?"
I haven't got any other machine that I can test it in, but I really hope that's not the problem, since it was so hard to get the card in the first place. It's actually an ASrock card, rather than a reference design, so I'm hoping my odds are slightly better. I'll keep the box though, in case I do have to send it back...

Last edited:

Pupp

I haven't got any other machine that I can test it in, but I really hope that's not the problem, since it was so hard to get the card in the first place. It's actually an ASrock card, rather than a reference design, so I'm hoping my odds are slightly better. I'll keep the box though, in case I do have to send it back...

Is the card even getting past POST or even being detected?

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...ep-codes-and-error-messages#Vostro_Beep_Codes

geek 0001

Nope, no beeps. My keyboard and mouse don't even come on. I'm pretty sure it's not even posting.

I did some digging and I've found out that the machine uses a H61 chipset, which is pcie 2.0 with a maximum of 6 pcie lanes. I already have a USB3.0 expansion card which would bring it down to 5. The RX6700XT is pcie 4.0 and I believe it requires 16 lanes so I don't know if that might be the issue?

beers

Staff member
but I really hope that's not the problem, since it was so hard to get the card in the first place.
Why are you trying to put a ~$900 street value card in a system that's barely worth $50?

I'd scalp that and upgrade the rest of the system in your case.

geek 0001

Why are you trying to put a ~$900 street value card in a system that's barely worth $50?

I'd scalp that and upgrade the rest of the system in your case.
For Lulz?! No, but seriously, I am going to upgrade the rest of the system. I just wanted to test out my new card while I raise the money and decide what to get...

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
I'd suspect your mobo just can't handle it, specifically with that few PCI-E lanes.

I'll trade ya a GTX 1080 if you want. That might work. :D