Ryzen 5 1600, 2400 Mhz RAM vs i7 8700, 2133 Mhz RAM

Måns Eriksson

Sorry for making another thread about CPU comparison but i have now stumbled across two seemingly good deals. A Ryzen 5 1600 with 16 GB 2400 Mhz RAM and a i7 8700 with 16 GB 2133 Mhz RAM. Most other specs are similar but the i7 system is 100€ more. Will this be worth it for gaming? Will any of these systems be bottlenecked by their RAM speeds? Or is it not as bad as some people say? Both systems has a GTX 1070 8GB (Non TI version) if you are wondering. I want a gaming system that is relatively future proof and now i'm turning to you. Thanks in advance! :D

Darren

Staff member
i7 will game better, particularly at higher refresh rates. You'll still probably be bottlenecked by the 1070 at 144hz. Ryzen definitely should have closer to 3200MHz on the RAM speed to be within swinging distance of the i7 but the i7 will still win.

Shlouski

VIP Member
We are risking another debate here :D.

Like we discussed in the last thread, for gaming the i7 wins, but when it comes to achieving 144 fps there are variables, the game and the settings you are running. If we are talking AAA gaming running at high setting then even the 1080ti isn't going to achieve a solid 144 fps in many games: https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1939
To run these games at 144fps you will need to make compromises on settings, the to what degree depends on the card, this means the better the card the less the compromises and as time goes by and your gpu gets older you will need to make even more compromises. This will leave you with the option of either, living with the compromises or upgrading to a superior gpu. As long as a cpu is capable of running the game, the gpu will be the main factor in graphical performance in most games, this means gpu upgrades will give the greatest boost in graphical performance. With a great gaming cpu like the i7, you will be able to focus on saving your money for the best gpu possible for the next few years, so you avoid having to make as many compromises.

Darren

Staff member
We are risking another debate here :D.

Like we discussed in the last thread, for gaming the i7 wins, but when it comes to achieving 144 fps there are variables, the game and the settings you are running. If we are talking AAA gaming running at high setting then even the 1080ti isn't going to achieve a solid 144 fps in many games: https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1939
To run these games at 144fps you will need to make compromises on settings, the to what degree depends on the card, this means the better the card the less the compromises and as time goes by and your gpu gets older you will need to make even more compromises. This will leave you with the option of either, living with the compromises or upgrading to a superior gpu. As long as a cpu is capable of running the game, the gpu will be the main factor in graphical performance in most games, this means gpu upgrades will give the greatest boost in graphical performance. With a great gaming cpu like the i7, you will be able to focus on saving your money for the best gpu possible for the next few years, so you avoid having to make as many compromises.

Lol how is that risking a debate? That's just you agreeing with the fact that the i7 is a better gaming CPU and a 1070 won't max out 144Hz.