Ryzen 7 2700x Volts / EDC / Wraith Prism

h3donyst

I have a few concerns not necessarily issues, but if someone could clarify them, that would be great.
I used to own Intel processors but I have decided about a year ago to change teams so to speak.

Here are my specs.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
MBO: AMD B450-PLUS GAMING
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Zotac AMP!
RAM: HyperX 16GB Predator DDR4 3200MHz CL16 KIT HX432C16PB3K2/16

The concerns I am having is with Ryzen 7 2700x processor (https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-2700x):

1.) Wraith prism cooler
The first thing I noticed was that the stock cooler (wraith prism) that came with Ryzen 7 2700X is so loud, it sounds like a jet engine but it varies from quiet to "all systems go".
I get it, it's constantly bringing down temps at some point as they go up, but come on... it's so annoying.

There is a setting on the cooler HI - LOW, I set it to low of course, quiet setting in BIOS Qfan and tried to "playing" with fan curves but I'm unsure what is the optimal setting.
It's not the dust buildup since it is like this from the beginning and I read all over the internet I'm not the only one:
The cooler is loud and emits 44 dB(A) under load (50 cm distance, 45° diagonal) when the fan is spinning at 2600-2700 RPM. The fan can even be a bit noisy even when the system is idling on the Windows desktop. Unfortunately, the fan adjusts much too rapidly as the cooler reacts to short-term temperature jumps.

We see the result in the narrow-band frequency spectrum of the motor noise, which shifts back and forth between approx. 240 and 300 Hz. The fan generates almost 39 dB(A) at idle, which isn't necessary. It helps if adjust the fan curve to a fixed speed of at least 1400 RPM if the processor is under 60°C. However, you'll have to experiment because each case will require different settings.
I thought I would get used to the noise so I waited a year but it just drives me crazy unless using headphones and I find myself always switching between power profiles (balanced/power saver) to somewhat reduce the noise and also for reason below.

Maybe someone could recommend a replacement cooler or maybe water cooling? Or advice?

2.) CPU Voltage
I have read all over the internet that anything over 1.4v could cause a degradation in longevity of the processor. My CPU voltage, when set in windows power plan: Balanced / High perf. / Ryzen balanced is always around 1.4v or over.
AMD recommends Ryzen™ 7 2700X owners to not run their processors beyond 1.4V. If you're a performance chaser, there's no harm in going as high as 1.45V as long as you have a capable cooling solution that can keep the heat under control.
Should I be concerned?
The BIOS settings are set to default, nothing has been overclocked or changed. The voltage that high during normal operation, not gaming.
I have tried to set idle % of the CPU to lower in power plan as advised but nothing changed.

3.) Regarding the EDC
Is it normal to have it at 100 % at idle? Will it cause any damages to the MBO or reduce longevity?
The EDC is at 100% almost all the time when the power plan is set: Balanced / High perf. / Ryzen balanced
When I set the power plan at Power saver, my CPU speed is limited to 2.2 GHz which is not something I want but it reduces voltage and EDC.

It is worth noting that I do not have cooling issues, the CPU, MBU temps are within normal ranges and the CPU is not overloaded in any way when gaming.
It just seems when idle, I have these "spikes".

Some say it is normal, it's just how the Ryzen 7 works, some say I should check if my PC is truly idle.
I had no issues or concerns like this when I was on Intel CPU.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
1) The stock cooler is merely okay, if you want something more quiet and higher capacity than aftermarket will be your play.
2) The stock boost algorithm dynamically bursts that up around 1.4v, which is fine. The notice is mainly running all cores statically at 1.45v which the prism cooler is likely undersized for. You have to assume the least common denominator for user derpiness when making advisory notices.
3) I've seen a few cosmetic issues with that readout, you aren't doing anything outside of stock with the system.
The stock Intel cooler isn't any better and the newer K series doesn't even contain a bundled HSF.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I've bought a couple 2600x and built systems out of them and they are noisy as well. Fans keep going up and down. Changed one of them to a hyper 212 evo and after the thermal paste set in, its nice and quiet now. Change to a better aftermarket cooler as Beers as said. Ryzen may be cheaper, but I think I'm gonna stick with Intel builds for my clients from now on. More quieter.

h3donyst

1) The stock cooler is merely okay, if you want something more quiet and higher capacity than aftermarket will be your play.
2) The stock boost algorithm dynamically bursts that up around 1.4v, which is fine. The notice is mainly running all cores statically at 1.45v which the prism cooler is likely undersized for. You have to assume the least common denominator for user derpiness when making advisory notices.
3) I've seen a few cosmetic issues with that readout, you aren't doing anything outside of stock with the system.

The stock Intel cooler isn't any better and the newer K series doesn't even contain a bundled HSF.
Thanks for the clarification.
Could you or someone recommend a quieter solution? I would like to have some rgb on it if possible since the pc fits into my mancave setup, if not its ok as well.

I'll consider hyper 212 evo also if I can find AM4 version, I'm in Europe.
I've heard great things about Noctua lineup but they are so ugly, I like the Be Quiet line at least they are black. I'm thinking Dark Rock Pro 4 could be overkill.

I'm not sure my pc case can accommodate a double fan water cooling system but any solution will be preferable to this, at this point I'll try anything just to make the prism shut up :)

That's awful.

Last edited:

OmniDyne

This could likely be related to the design of case you had. The stock Intel coolers are loud as hell and always have been; they're also garbage. They are so much louder than the Wraith coolers.

Pupp

I've owned computers with both Intel and AMD processors. They're both really good. I'd probably go with AMD next time, but since I'm not actually in the market for a computer until 2025 (unless my current computer bites the dust), I'd have to see what AMD and Intel offer when I'm looking for a new computer. It always boils down to which company has the best cpu about $500 +/- $50.

If anybody is looking to buy a new computer, I highly recommend one of the online companies like CyberpowerPC or IBuyPower. There are several solid online companies that make custom computer though. I've been using CyberPowerPC for many years. But like I said, there are several solid online companies that make custom computers. I think iBuyPower has been around for a long time also.

h3donyst

This could likely be related to the design of case you had. The stock Intel coolers are loud as hell and always have been; they're also garbage. They are so much louder than the Wraith coolers.
I disagree. I've had both (intel for years), this one is the loudest by far.

h3donyst

I've owned computers with both Intel and AMD processors. They're both really good. I'd probably go with AMD next time, but since I'm not actually in the market for a computer until 2025 (unless my current computer bites the dust), I'd have to see what AMD and Intel offer when I'm looking for a new computer. It always boils down to which company has the best cpu about $500 +/- $50.

If anybody is looking to buy a new computer, I highly recommend one of the online companies like CyberpowerPC or IBuyPower. There are several solid online companies that make custom computer though. I've been using CyberPowerPC for many years. But like I said, there are several solid online companies that make custom computers. I think iBuyPower has been around for a long time also.
Not in a market to buy a new PC. Also, don't know what this has to do with Ryzen proc or cooling...

Darren

Staff member
I was a big OC/tweaker in my earlier AMD days but anymore it's easier to just let it do its thing. The tech has gotten so good you get pretty negligible gains locking things down yourself, although I'll admit I keep my 1700 locked voltage and clock speed.

I'd just set everything to "normal" so to speak and get a better cooler. Air cooling is overrated IMO, but does look slick. A decent 30-50 dollar air cooler will be miles better than what it comes with. My 60 dollar Enermax T50 did as well if not better than the 240MM AIO it replaced.

Hyper 212's are fine but a little overrated and just have become the default for some reason.

Wraith coolers generally are a good bit better and a lot quieter than the stock Intel ones, but your mileage may vary. Prior to the Wraiths though, they were maybe worse than Intel's.

h3donyst

I'd just set everything to "normal" so to speak and get a better cooler. Air cooling is overrated IMO, but does look slick. A decent 30-50 dollar air cooler will be miles better than what it comes with. My 60 dollar Enermax T50 did as well if not better than the 240MM AIO it replaced.

Hyper 212's are fine but a little overrated and just have become the default for some reason.

Wraith coolers generally are a good bit better and a lot quieter than the stock Intel ones, but your mileage may vary. Prior to the Wraiths though, they were maybe worse than Intel's.
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I'm going to upgrade the cooler for sure now. I live in the south and in the spring, summer and autumn gets pretty hot.

h3donyst

Any of those are better than the Wraith. If you're going to upgrade, do it right, the 212 is marginally better than the Wraith already. Of those 3, I'd get the Dark Rock probably.

My Enermax has been a beast, and quiet too.

Thanks, Dark rock is the quietest of them 3, at least in the specs.

Unfortunately Enermax is not available in my country and I would have to pay at least 50$ for shipping cost, plus VAT, customs etc. But yes, it is sweet.