ryzen CPU

lostsoul62

I haven't build a computer in 5 years I want to build a ryzen 5 3600 or ryzen 7 3700x or whatever. Like everyone I want to get the best bang for the buck. As an example if I get the ryzen 7 3700x won't I have to buy a more expensive motherboard and does it take the same ram? I haven't kept up with computers because I'm old and half senile but I can still put a computer together but I just don't know what to get?

ssal

I don't know how old is old. I am 70 and I had just built a Ryzen computer for my video editing.

Don't know what MBO and DRAM you have, but the 5-3600 or 7-3700 are both gen 3 CPU. If your MBO can be upgraded, you can use it, or you'll need to buy a new one. I am pretty sure you can use DDR3 on the new build but it would be slower. I don't know how slow it is.

I think you're better off starting new because 5 years is a long time.

lostsoul62

I have never upgraded my computer hardware because I build new computer always. I build maybe 50 computer during my life for my personal use but I have been retired for 15 years so I'm pretty much behind which is my own fault. Also I'm 72. Building a ryzen 5 3600 as the slowest I will build but I can go over the ryzen 7 3700x if I get more for the money. I don't want to spend 30% more money for a 8% gain.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What current motherboard do you have? If you don't have a ryzen system now, you'll most likely need new motherboard and ram. Ryzen doesn't support DDR3