Ryzen no onboard graphics

Jordan361

Good morning,

I had a quick look on the forums and couldn't find anything specific to my issue. I am unsure of the rules here - I had a look around, but let me know if I should post elsewhere or amend my post.

I've recently built a desktop computer for the first time. I'll post the specs at the bottom.
I am able to plug my monitor into my graphics card, but have learned that my CPU doesn't support onboard graphics.
Is there anything I can do about the now unused graphics slots on the mobo, or just leave it? I will likely only be using 2 monitors, and my GPU has a HDMI and DVI inputs which suits my monitors.
I just thought I'd ask to see if I could get the most out of my PC.

Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 SSD Solid State Drive
WD 3.5" Blue 2TB 64M 5400RPM SATA3 HDD
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB Single DDR4 3000 Desktop RAM
Corsair CX550M 550Watt 80Plus Bronze ATX Semi-Modular Power Supply Unit
MSI (GTX 1060 GAMING X 6G) 6G GTX 1060 Gaming X PCI-E VGA Card
Corsair Carbide 400C Black Compact Mid Tower Case without PSU
AMD YD1600BBAEBOX Ryzen 5 1600 3.2Ghz/6 Core/19M/65W AM4 Boxed CPU (With Cooler)
ASRock AB350-PRO4 AMD B350/4xDDR4/2xPCIEx16/HDMI/DVI/D-SUB/M.2/ATX Motherboard

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I don't understand your concern. You have a video card that supports up to 3 monitors I believe. The second video card slot allows you to crossfire 2 AMD cards. And there should only be 1 unused video card slot after installing your 1060.

Jordan361

It's not a concern more of a 'what can I do with these wasted slots?'
If nothing, that's fine. I just thought I'd ask the question.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Most motherboards these days will come with at least 2 video slots some have 3 or more. For a normal user more then 1 slot is a waste. You can use it for addin cards but you already have smaller slots for those anyway.

OmniDyne

Most motherboards these days will come with at least 2 video slots some have 3 or more. For a normal user more then 1 slot is a waste. You can use it for addin cards but you already have smaller slots for those anyway.

I believe she was asking about the DVI/ HDMI slots on the motherboard, not the PCI slots, unless I'm mistaken.

In this case, unfortunately they cannot be used.

Jordan361

Hey Omni, yes I was asking about DVI/HDMI.

That's fine, just when I searched online there wasn't much information to be found.
Thanks for your help :)

beers

Staff member
They were put in for future APUs, which came out pretty recently.

If you pop a 2400G or 2200G in the same board you can use the onboard, since the GPU piece lives in the CPU. No GPU in the CPU, no usable onboard video ports. Standard Ryzen = no GPU in the CPU.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Motherboard outside has ports, motherboard inside has slots. Slots was said so that's why I said what I did.