Ryzen2 3000 Series Specs Revealed

Darren

Staff member
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-3000-series-matisse-specs,38310.html

Looks like the R7's will be pushing 12c/24t and R5's 8c/16t

Dem boost clocks.

1546538402600-png.184

Darren

Staff member
They've basically done to themselves what they did to Intel when Ryzen 1 dropped. Knock core counts up a notch across the line. A 2 year old i7 with 4c/8t is likely about to get out benchmarked by a $99 6c/12t chip. Similarly my 8c/16t R7 is now well below spec of an R5. Gr8

Jiniix

I've got my eyes on that 3700X. Even adjusted for local taxes (+25%) it's spot on the price of a 2700X and about $100 cheaper than a i7-9700K.

Reactions: C4C
I've been avoiding upgrades for a little while now and doing fine with a 6600K. Ryzen has been interesting to me but these new parts will likely get me to upgrade. The price for those cores and speed is amazing.

Darren

Staff member
I've been avoiding upgrades for a little while now and doing fine with a 6600K. Ryzen has been interesting to me but these new parts will likely get me to upgrade. The price for those cores and speed is amazing.
My 7th gen i5 at work feels like molasses when multitasking compared to my Ryzen machine.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
My 7th gen i5 at work feels like molasses when multitasking compared to my Ryzen machine.
Does your workplace install a bunch of security agents too? I've got a newish i7, with 16g of ram and an ssd and my work machine feels like a 386. A CPU core is routinely pegged at 100% dealing with scans from the array of shitty software.

The low end price/clock on these new ryzens is tempting though. I could probably upgrade my wifes machine to integrated graphics when the Gs come out and she'd never know. She's rocking an ancient HD6850 right now.

Darren

Staff member
We run Kaspersky, although in process of transitioning off of it. It's given us a lot of issues and after 3 ransomwares in a year we're looking elsewhere, turns out they didn't add the ransomware component to the servers and didn't tell us or notify even though it's included in our package. Think ESET is what my boss said.

That's good to know. My system is starting to feel sluggish when running a few programs. There are more background processes running than I realized. I have a feeling part of it is from Windows 10/chrome updates.

Darren

Staff member
If I had known the Ryzen 5 2600 was gonna be so legit, I would have waited 2 months and ditched the 8400 build.
For quite a while I thought I had an actual problem as I thought no way an i5 would be this slow. Personally never used one for heavier work before.

Turns out that problem is just Intel. :p

Jiniix

As the "personal IT guy" for a lot of IRL friends and online guilds, I've seen a big rise in people complaining about low FPS, with all of them having these 3.3-3.7GHz i5's from 4th gen and up.
But there's rarely an upgrade path I'd consider anywhere near worth, since Ryzen has been "low" frequencies and Intel pricey AF.
I imagine a lot of people will take the plundge to compete with a i9-9900K at about 60% of the price, excluding the platform itself, which is also typically cheaper than their Intel counterparts.
Thank you AMD, very cool!

Darren

Staff member
My Ryzen 7 does not bottleneck my 1080 at all at 1440p. Even being a first gen. I expect these new chips to game just as well if not better than Intels.

_Kyle_

I really should have waited on getting a new mobo, lol. I'll have to pick up another one for R3 unless it'll run on a B350 with a BIOS update.

Darren

Staff member
I really should have waited on getting a new mobo, lol. I'll have to pick up another one for R3 unless it'll run on a B350 with a BIOS update.
Probably will. I expect my board to support it, although I don't plan to upgrade for at least another couple years.

Jiniix

My Ryzen 7 does not bottleneck my 1080 at all at 1440p. Even being a first gen. I expect these new chips to game just as well if not better than Intels.
My friend with 3-4000 hours in CSGO dropped from ~350 to ~250 FPS (on Windows) going from an Intel 6700K to a Ryzen 7 2700X, which he wasn't too happy about. But he can live with it, since his Gentoo compiles about 2-3x faster now.

Darren

Staff member
My friend with 3-4000 hours in CSGO dropped from ~350 to ~250 FPS (on Windows) going from an Intel 6700K to a Ryzen 7 2700X, which he wasn't too happy about. But he can live with it, since his Gentoo compiles about 2-3x faster now.
And I'd expect nothing less. Intel > AMD in strictly gaming, particularly high FPS scenarios.

I feel this might change though if performance correlates with these numbers.

_Kyle_

Any rumored release dates?

May just save up and build a new rig with the new AMD GPUs that'll coming out soon. My little brother has been wanting a gaming PC for a while so I'll gift my current one to him if I do end up building a new PC.