Safari For Windows

maroon1

Windows Safari beta riddled with security holes

Apple loves to gloat about the viruses and security holes that frequently hit Windows software, but with its newly-released Safari browser beta for Microsoft's operating system, the iPod maker certainly isn't setting a good example. As CNet reports, security researchers managed to find security holes in the Windows version of Safari within hours of the browser's release.

One vulnerability, which was uncovered by researcher Aviv Raff in just a few minutes using publicly available software, is a memory corruption error that could be exploited to allow the execution of malicious code. Security researchers David Maynor and Thor Larholm, too, found bugs. In a blog entry, Maynor explains, "I'd like to note that we found a totl [sic] of 6 bugs in an afternoon, 4 DoS and 2 remote code execution bugs. We have weaponized one of those to be reliable and its diffrent [sic] that what Thor has found."

The researchers don't say whether the bugs also affect the MacOS X version of Safari, but this certainly doesn't bode well for Apple's first effort in the Windows browser world—as much as Apple might boast that its engineers "designed Safari to be secure from day one."

Source

Punk

Staff member
No look, it has side buttons. that's pretty neat.

EDIT: It actually also has touch sensitivity under the shell. It's really a 5 button mouse.

Right click works on Safari for me.

~Jordan

Oh ok then they adjusted it for Windows :D

patrickv

Hey i have problems. i don't know if you guys have run into them but i have.
I can't login to hotmail,yahoo or gmail on proxy.
I get the proxy authentication box twice then safari crashes and tells me to send error report.
but it's a good browser all in all

Ben

VIP Member
No look, it has side buttons. that's pretty neat.

EDIT: It actually also has touch sensitivity under the shell. It's really a 5 button mouse.

Right click works on Safari for me.

~Jordan

Thats kinda what I was hinting :p I was hoping someone would look at the features :)

DrCuddles

How well do web apps like Java programs or Flash files or even shockwave media, or other embedded things work on Safari plz :)

Kornowski

VIP Member
Just tried and I didn't like it to be honest, it was a lot slower than FF and IE7. The font was bold also, it all looked to squashed...

Irishwhistle

Just tried and I didn't like it to be honest, it was a lot slower than FF and IE7. The font was bold also, it all looked to squashed...

You can change the font in the settings. Hmm, It works perfect for me. :D Faster than FF and IE (6 & 7).

thanks.

I think ill give it a go, see how Vista compatiable it is when i get home

I just tried running eyeOS (internet operating system) and it runs better than FF (it is build on Java). I hope it works for you, I seem to have the only computer that it works well on. :)

Hey i have problems. i don't know if you guys have run into them but i have.
I can't login to hotmail,yahoo or gmail on proxy.
I get the proxy authentication box twice then safari crashes and tells me to send error report.
but it's a good browser all in all

Hmm, I can log into Gmail without problems.

~Jordan

Last edited:

patrickv

You can change the font in the settings. Hmm, It works perfect for me. :D Faster than FF and IE (6 & 7).

I just tried running eyeOS (internet operating system) and it runs better than FF (it is build on Java). I hope it works for you, I seem to have the only computer that it works well on. :)

Hmm, I can log into Gmail without problems.

~Jordan

Jordan it just so happen that you're not using proxy thats why. You are using a str8ght connection to the net so it shud work but in my case,in the office we use proxy script to connect to internet