Safari or Firefox

Cambece

Right now I have Safari 1.3.2 on my PowerBook G4. Am I better off getting Firefox? What are the pros and cons?

JA Cambece
JA Cambece Law Office

Starman*

Haven't used Safari so I can only comment on FF. Although I mostly use FF I'm not a huge fan of it. I use it due to security issues with IE. Quite honestly I think IE is easier to use for the average person. As FF becomes more popular it will receive increasing attention from hackers.

My main beef is with extensions that are supposed to improve useability. If the writer of the extension does not keep up with FF development, the extension is useless and is in fact disabled when a new incompatible version of FF is installed. I now use FF without any extensions and I assess it's useability on that basis.

My second beef is that when you save a page in FF it saves what's in the cache, not what's on the screen, which is quite pathetic. Eg, save a search results page and it will save the search dialog page. I haven't bothered to check in the latest version since I already have macros that get round the problem.

Many apps that work with browsers will only work with IE and not FF. You only have to look in the Mozilla forums to see that FF is not the darling some people make it out to be. The same would be true of Safari no doubt.

Starman*

4W4K3

VIP Member
All the extensions I use are usable on all versions of Firefox, I don't even look at the extensions that do not support later/earlier versions.

Not really sure what you are saying about the saved webpage issue. I save pages all the time, they always work. I just did a search on CF.com and saved the results. Cleared my browser cache, opened the page, and it showed me my results. Works perfect, just like IE or Opera would do.

As far as browser compatibility, that is an issue with any alternative browser. It comes down to what you use that requires the browser. I very rarely have to use IE with what I do, I can even Windows Update within FF now. There are a few webpages that look odd/won't display in FF, but they tend to be few and far between.

You're absolutely right, it has alot of issues that need fixing and eventually will see as much exploitation as IE or any large browser. But in terms of speed, customization, and user friendliness FF exceeds any other browser I've ever tried.

[tab]

[...]
I installed Firefox on my iBook G4 soon after I bought it, but I've never used it. Safari does the job perfectly so I don't bother with Firefox.