Safe to OC?

mat2317

i want to OC my cpu but i dunno what to because of the safety facer etc. i have a Zalman CNPS9500 cooler and my cpu is intel P4 3.4 800mhz fsb 2mb l2 cache.

What is a safe fsb and also my RAM is at 667mhz standard. what could i OC too?

M0ddingMan1a

comon buddy. just take the damn risk.. all fun in life.lol. just start ocing about... 10-15mhz at first. then if its stable, lunge forward a lil more if u want. lol

Geoff

VIP Member
Its very safe to OC if your just raising the FSB, especially on Intel's because if they overheat they automatically shut down. The problem arises when you raise the voltages and start messing around with timings and such.

TheChef

palmmann said:
from what i hear, the best way to oc is in the bios

What you heard is correct. Go in 5-10mhz increments. Just test for stability using SuperPi or PiFast, both accessible from Google. It's annoying to have your computer shutdown while you're doing something. Once you get unstable, either stop OCing and go back down to your last stable increment if you're not comfortable, or just raise the vCore slightly. Careful if you choose that option though. That's when things get dicey.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I don't ever overclock... I've tried a few times and so far I've only been successful with one machine(amazingly it was the cheapest most unstable LAPTOP ever made ;P) But yeah, it's not exactly the safest thing, so I just stay away from it.

fade2green514

umm, i duno much about p4 chips... but make sure its a 90nm version not a 130nm version. 90nm = much less heat. also, zalman heatsinks are good for cooling, bad for case temps. make sure airflow in the case is decent.

personally, a 3.4ghz sounds good enough, i dont think it would bottleneck yur fps much during any games... depending on the game of course. i wouldnt overclock if i were you... i did but thats cuz i wanted a budget dual core system, and 2ghz wasnt gonna cut it! lol

Timbo

fade2green514 said:
umm, i duno much about p4 chips... but make sure its a 90nm version not a 130nm version. 90nm = much less heat. also, zalman heatsinks are good for cooling, bad for case temps. make sure airflow in the case is decent.

personally, a 3.4ghz sounds good enough, i dont think it would bottleneck yur fps much during any games... depending on the game of course. i wouldnt overclock if i were you... i did but thats cuz i wanted a budget dual core system, and 2ghz wasnt gonna cut it! lol

You could always just open the side of the case if you're worried about case temps. That's what I've done. But yeah and just remember if you are OC'ing and you did what I did the first time by raising it way the hell to much of FSB and it won't boot take out the CMOS. Just watch temps, and maybe run 3DMark on a loop for an hour to test stability, or you could just game and see if it crashes.