Samsung Note 7 Production Suspended

Darren

Staff member
Unsurprisingly, Samsung finally pulled the plug on production of the Note 7's. Looks like AT&T and T-Mobile have both pulled them from sales and encouraging all owners to come trade them in for a different device. Curious how much fallout Samsung is going to suffer from this.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/09/sams...ended-production-of-galaxy-note-7-report.html

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-and-blogs/samsung-note7-update.htm

http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/9/13219054/att-samsung-galaxy-note-7-stop-sales

Laquer Head

This whole debacle has been a prime example of what happens when 2 power-hungry, greedy competitors in the electronic sector go head to head with one trying, and failing, to beat the other to market with the superior device.

Samsung rushed the Note 7 out, ramped up production to an unequipped supplier, and quality control snowballed outta control - they now have the global mess we see today.

Geoff

VIP Member
Part of me feels bad for Samsung, since other than this the Note 7 was praised by almost all reviewers and looked to be an excellent phone. It does show that when you rush things to beat the iPhone, quality is bound to suffer. I can accept this if it was solved by the recall, but the fact it's still happening even after "fixing" the problem is inexcusable.

Darren

Staff member

porterjw

Spaminator
Staff member
Would you say the whole thing wasn't particularly

Noteworthy....

?

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAMfAAAAJDFjNTZlODJiLWU1NDItNDE3Zi04ZGNkLWVhZDJkMDk5ZTU0MQ.png

Bravo, beers.

Darren

Staff member
Wow.. just heard this morning that the temporary production suspension of the Note 7 has become permanent. Make you wonder if this is the end of the NOTE series altogether?

http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/11/tec...-discontinued0951AMVODtopLink&linkId=29793931

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-37618618

http://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung-to-permanently-discontinue-galaxy-note-7-smartphone-1476177331

I hope so. I'm of the opinion phone companies need to diversify their product names. Particularly Apple and Samsung. I don't want to see iPhone 69S Plus and Galaxy S66 Edge Pro in 40 years.

Intel_man

VIP Member
I don't want to see iPhone 69S Plus and Galaxy S66 Edge Pro in 40 years.
Hopefully in 40 years time, wireless communication devices have moved on from the traditional "handheld" wireless devices that we're using now. ;)

By then, I wouldn't be surprised if the product names have moved on from the "Galaxy" line. It'll probably have a new "name" and start from #1 again.

Darren

Staff member
Hopefully in 40 years time, wireless communication devices have moved on from the traditional "handheld" wireless devices that we're using now. ;)

By then, I wouldn't be surprised if the product names have moved on from the "Galaxy" line. It'll probably have a new "name" and start from #1 again.

40 years was a gross over exaggeration, but I think you get my point. :p

Geoff

VIP Member
I hope so. I'm of the opinion phone companies need to diversify their product names. Particularly Apple and Samsung. I don't want to see iPhone 69S Plus and Galaxy S66 Edge Pro in 40 years.
Why do you hope so? They already had diversity, with their smaller phone called the Galaxy S line and the larger version with a stylus called the Galaxy Note series. What's probably going to happen now, is remove the Note branding and release a Galaxy S8 in the spring, than a Galaxy S8 Pro in the fall.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What's probably going to happen now, is remove the Note branding and release a Galaxy S8 in the spring, than a Galaxy S8 Pro in the fall.
It really doesn't matter what Samsung does now. Whatever is going on with the note can go wrong with any other phone they bring out. So who is gonna take a chance on getting a bad phone again?

Laquer Head

It really doesn't matter what Samsung does now. Whatever is going on with the note can go wrong with any other phone they bring out. So who is gonna take a chance on getting a bad phone again?

*raises hand*

I'm a Samsung fanboy, I'll admit it.. I'm still going to buy another Samsung phone, one bad egg isn't going to make me flip. I do totally understand how others might jump ship though, completely reasonable!

beers

Staff member
Watch out that SSD might catch on fire!

Watch out that TV might catch on fire!

etc.

WhoX

I hope Samsung doesn't make the same mistake (rush to market) with future tablets. Big fan of the Tab S series.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a Samsung fanboy, I'll admit it.

So am I. I was gonna get the note 7 but when I realized my Note 3 is actually bigger I decided not to and plus the fact I didn't like the edge screen. I like the bigger screens. Since having the note, handling the regular the S series phones are just too damn small. My gf has the S5. My only hope now is the LG V20.
Watch out that SSD might catch on fire!

Watch out that TV might catch on fire!

Doubt it. More along the lines of phones here. I do believe they released the note 7 too quick without enough research and testing.

Geoff

VIP Member
While true, tons of people will buy their products again. The S8 is going to come out, people will not buy it because of the Note 7, but if all goes well people will forget it the next time they release a phone. Look how many people still buy cars from Toyota even though they had the stuck accelerator problem causing car crashes.

So am I. I was gonna get the note 7 but when I realized my Note 3 is actually bigger
The Note 3 has the same size screen as the Note 7 at 5.7". It has a smaller body which everyone loves.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The Note 3 has the same size screen as the Note 7 at 5.7". It has a smaller body which everyone loves.
Well, when I went to the sprint store to check it out and put my phone next to it, my phone was bigger, as in screen size not phone size.