Sata 3

Ballance1032

Hi, I just bought a sata 3 ssd and like an idiot didn't see if my motherboard supports sata 3 and of course it doesn't. Although I'm aware it's backwards compatible but I would really like sata 3. I've been told u can use a pci thing( can't remember name) but my massive gtx 960 covers both the ports. Is there any way round this/ other way.
Thanks

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You won't notice that much of a difference between SATA 2 and SATA 3 so just use it without a separate card.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about getting a sata 3 addin card at this point. You won't really see any difference.

mistersprinkles

Not considering that you can't surpass the data thorough put of even Sata 2 speed right now. What motherboard do you have?

?????

maury_5010.jpg

That is completely false to the extent of warranting this meme which is in no way relevant to the conversation.

SATA 3 is fully saturated by modern SATA 3 SSD's. has been for years. SATA 2 will hold a SATA 3 SSD back. You are wrong sir.

Hell, even SATA 3 HDD's run better on SATA 3 than SATA 2 and they don't saturate either interface.

beers

Staff member
Sticking on SATA 2 (3 gbit/sec) will just limit your sequential transfers to ~275 MB/sec

Otherwise you'll see similar performance, especially with regards to random and 4K transfers.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I found an article online about transfer speeds. I was thinking it was much higher.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Pci or Pci express slot. Would buy the pci express one though. Can post a link later when I get home.

beers

Staff member
Yeh but as I said my gtx 960 is huge and covers the slots
Guess you're screwed then man.

You can always use it now on a SATA 2 port and plug it into a SATA 3 one later. Personally it isn't worth the additional cost of a PCIE controller.