SATA and IDE, help me restore!!

wael2

SATA and IDE, Do I need a driver for SATA?

I had a XP/Windows 2000 Server, dual boot machine, where the windows 2000, hosts My 2000 DC, and Exchange 2000,then the MOBO DIED :( , so I took the drive to another machine and copied all the data (from all partitions) to separate folders. :)
I ordered Dell SC420, that comes with 1 [80 GB SATA] drive, and 1 CD drive;
Now, the question is, when I receive the new Dell 420SC, I intend to partitions the 80 GB SATA drive to the same partitions size on my old IDE, then install win XP sp2, for the C: drive, and format the D: drive to NTFS, then copy the contents of my old D:\ data from the folder, to the NTFS partition on drive D:\; would that boot if I choose to boot from Win 2000 on the D:\ drive? If not, that is the best approach to restore my DC and Exchange on the New Dell SC420?
In other words, do I need a Windows 2000 SATA driver for the SATA drive like SCSI drives, or it just works out of the box without a driver?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
In other words, do I need a Windows 2000 SATA driver for the SATA drive like SCSI drives, or it just works out of the box without a driver?
Depends on the motherboard ... some motherboards natively support SATA (not many) .. you'll need a SATA driver (that comes with the new mobo/controller) to use during boottime