SATA cables Questions

Palladini

Over the Last dozen or so years, every SATA cable I have used goes from one SATA port on the Motherboard to either a Hard Drive or a DVD Drive.

A couple days ago, I purchased a SATA cable that would hook to one SATA port on the Motherboard to 5 different devices, it splits to 5 ends. Now has anybody used one, and what problems did the they have

I have red that is Red, seen here http://s6.photobucket.com/user/palladini69/media/100_5428.jpg.html I had it installed on my Dell XPS computer, it did not even recognize it. i had the one side hooked to a SATA port on the motherboard, and two cables coming off of it to 2 Hard Drives, in starting my computer, and going file explorer, then clicking My Computer, not once did it show either of the drives

_Pete_

What you have plugged in to the board is a SATA data socket. I would think you would need some power to that board. It looks to me that the four pin plug next to the single SATA plug should carry power although what that power should be or where you could pick it from I wouldn't know. Don't the destructions tell you anything?

Palladini

Everything that cable, except the single end in the motherboard, has a power hookup and each device has a power cable to it.

Every device, my 2 DVD Drives and 4 Hard drives have SATA power connectors on them right now. The problem lies in the fact the motherboard only has 4 SATA ports on it. I plan to use this 1 to 5 SATA cable on my Hard drives, so on the motherboard, only 3 SATA cables will plugged in, 2 to DVD Drives and 1 to the 4 hard drives.

After saying that, will this cable show 4 separate drives or will the 4 drives show up 1 big drive

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Still don't understand why you are trying to use this small board when I said that each sata port on the motherboard can only be used with 1 device. It's not like a USB port. If you need more devices plugged in you'll need that sata addin card I posted or something similar.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
Do you have brand/model/part number for that thing? I'm not sure I know what that thing is, but apparently SATA spec does have a word on port multipliers which allow multiple drives on a single port. I'd never heard of them until I looked them up just now, though, for all I know it could be some obscure standard that most SATA controllers don't support.

If that thing is a port multiplier, you'd definitely see them as separate drives, but would have reduced performance over the link.

Geoff

VIP Member
I have red that is Red, seen here http://s6.photobucket.com/user/palladini69/media/100_5428.jpg.html I had it installed on my Dell XPS computer, it did not even recognize it. i had the one side hooked to a SATA port on the motherboard, and two cables coming off of it to 2 Hard Drives, in starting my computer, and going file explorer, then clicking My Computer, not once did it show either of the drives
Because as John as said, a SATA port can only recognize one device. If you need more, you need an add-in controller card that connects via PCI, PCI-E, etc.