Sata drive question

Binton

Hi I have a question about a sata drive. If my old computer used a sata drive could I replace it with a sata drive and it will work no matter what?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Not Quite....

Well, how old is the Motherboard?

Older ones only support SATA 1 and not SATA 2. Most SATA 2 drives will work with SATA1 controllers, but only if you manually set the jumper to the hard drive operates in SATA1 mode.

There's no difference with optical drives. Hard drives, yes, but definitely not optical drives.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Not Quite....

Well, how old is the Motherboard?

Older ones only support SATA 1 and not SATA 2. Most SATA 2 drives will work with SATA1 controllers, but only if you manually set the jumper to the hard drive operates in SATA1 mode.

Show me a CD/DVD drive with the jumper. CD/DVD drives are SATA 1 and will work just fine on a SATA 2 port.

Optical drives most likely need the SATA ports to operate in IDE emulation mode, otherwise Windows might not recognise it.

The only reason windows would not recognise it in SATA mode is if the SATA drivers are not installed. But since he already had a SATA drive I dont really see where you gioing with this.

Last edited:

Iceyn1pples

Show me a CD/DVD drive with the jumper. CD/DVD drives are SATA 1 and will work just fine on a SATA 2 port.

I was referring to HDDs in that post. The OP did not specify.

The only reason windows would not recognise it in SATA mode is if the SATA drivers are not installed. But since he already had a SATA drive I dont really see where you gioing with this.

Informational. If windows doesnt recognize it without drivers, and its his only Optical Drive, he wont be able to boot to start Install.